Rashes under brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rashes under brace

My 12-year old daughter was diagnosed w/ ideopathic scoliosis this summer. She is wearing a low-profile Boston brace for 22-23 hours per day, and has been doing this for three weeks. She seems to be having trouble with rashes under the brace that largely seem to be heat-related. When she takes the brace off, sometimes there are specific areas that are affected (red bumps, itching), other times the entire area under the brace is completely red. Leaving the brace off for 1/2 seems to help somewhat. On the advice of the orthopedist and orthotist, these are the things we have tried to reduce/eliminate the rash: wearing 100% cotton t-shirt under brace, double-rinsing cotton t's to completely remove detergent, using Ivory Snow, using baby powder on skin under the brace, using cornstarch on her skin under the brace, cleaning brace w/ hydrogen peroxide every other day, showering every day. Nothing seems to be of significant help. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you deal with it? We have to go back to the orthotist this Friday to have pads added, and I would like to try any suggestions before our visit. Thank you!

*sorry, didn't proofread. 1/2 refers to leaving it off for 1/2 an hour

Comment

hey!

Hey, my name is Hannah and i also wear a scoliosis brace. I am 13 and in 7th grade. I have gotten one rash under my brace. u have to make sure that when u get out of the shower u get completely dry. And when u are sweating make sure u take of the brace, and maybe change the undershirt. If u or your daughter would like to contact me i would love to tlak and hear ur story! My e-mail is cheerbootyshaker@yahoo.com please e-mail me!!

Comment

Hi Hannah, and thanks for your reply. Sorry it took me so long. We actually found something that works...Johnsons makes a medicated baby powder specifically for itches and rashes. It contains a little zinc so it helps provide a better barrier to moisture and also has aloe. I hope this helps anyone else who has the same problem!

Comment

Working...
        X