Travelling on Public Transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling on Public Transport

This might be a pointless question but, how long after surgery can I start catching public transport? Its just that I don’t drive and I don’t want to rely on people driving me to and from places all the time
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Hiya Cina

I first used the train/tube at about 4 months but that is only because i was very nervous and had my mum to drive me where i needed to go-it took me a bit longer to risk the london buses and on my 1st attempt the bus driver closed the doors onme without warning so i wasnt very happy as you can imagine.

i am now 9 months post op and very comfortable travelling on tubes/trains and buses and have been for the last couple of months.

its more a case of when you feel you are ready but i would advise you to keep your brace on the first few times just incase you get bumped (or trapped in a bus door ) lol

sai

Comment

I'm 7 weeks post-op and I started riding the trains here in chicago at about 5 weeks. Last week (6 weeks) I started riding them 5 days a week to work. It's been a little hard to get used to. But the bus was absolutely unbearable. Could just be the terrible Chicago roads but I couldn't believe how bumpy it felt. So I will only be taking the train for awhile. I have a brace on during the day right now and I had taken the padding out to make it less conspicuous but had to put it back in on Friday because it was a little too much. That helped a lot. If you don't have a brace you'll probably have to carry a pillow around for the first 2 months. I did that with my first surgery. But cars to me are worse than trains because of all the bumps in the roads. Hope that helps!
      { sarah }

Posterior Spinal Fusion for a 76 degree curve in 2000 at age 19. Two rods placed, fused from T4 to L2. Curve reduced to a 29º.
      One rod broken and noticing increased pain in 2004. Curve progressed to 39º.
      March 2007 Revision surgery- Rods removed and discovery of unhealed fusion. Had new rods placed along with new bone from Thoracoplasty and BMP.

Comment

Yeah. Its just that i havent had the operation yet, so i'm kinda coming across all these questions.

I've found this forum to be really helpful
        2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Working...
        X