I really CAN do this, right??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really CAN do this, right??

Okay, I was doing great til I got Dr. Boachie's packet of pre-op information and consent forms in the mail -- now I'm completely freaked out. I can't believe that ordinary mortals can go through this operation. It's all just so daunting.

Just had to vent...hubby's sick of listening to me!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

It's normal to feel the way do. Take comfort that Dr. Boachie has a great reputation. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

Have a safe surgery/recovery and I will say a pray for you.

Sue

Comment

I was just thinking this morning, as I checked onto this site like I do every morning, how surreal it's going to be the morning I check on with an actual surgery date! My stomach did a couple big rolls in anticipation of it.
      It's so cool that we are all here to root for each other, especially when our loved ones have grown tired of the confident then not-so-confident mood swings that seem to come with all of this. I don't have any advice for you, since I have no clue how I'll deal with it, but I hope you can find comfort that a bunch of people are thinking of you and wishing you ALL the best! And know that people like me are looking to people like you for inspiration as we follow in your footsteps (no pressure
      31 year old female
      55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
      T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
      Xray, 3 mos. post-op
      Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Chris,

I did the same thing on my first revision surgery!!! My original surgery had only been a year before the revision so you would of thought it wouldn't have thrown me as much as it did since the first one was so hugh and the revision was only going to be about 7 hours. What I realized was that the letter that stated what was going to be done, had my name up there in print making it very personal. I don't know if I had that the year before or not, or if we were just so bowled over with everything that I didn't notice my name on anything like that. It will pass, just keep talking about it to anyone who will listen. The more you do that the more comfortable and familiar you become with everything. Good Luck!
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

hang in there

Seriously, please know that everything will be fine. I had my surgery 3 weeks after I had my post-op appt. It helped that I didn't have to wait long. I know this is hard to do, but try to relax as much as possible. My surgeon was so helpful in telling me that him and his staff would take care of me! I went in there with nothing, but positive thoughts. My finace' couldn't believe how calm I was on surgery day, but it really helped the process.

Comment

Hi Chris,

You have had to anticipate this for a long time and you have gone through a rough time with dealing with something that happened not too long ago. I completely understand!!!

Don't get too frustrated with your family, they may not completely understand what you're going through right now, but they are just as scared as you are, just in a different way. You may think your hubby doesn't want to hear your fears, concerns and thoughts, but maybe he just doesn't want to think about the upcoming situation because he's scared too!!!

Your family loves you, and so do we, so when you need to vent, we're all here to listen!!! You have one of the best Dr.'s in the country and you trust him, that's 2/3'd of the battle.

We are here for you,
            Shari

Comment

Thanks guys. I really am okay some days...some days I am very calm and ready. Dr. Boachie's pre-op information packet is very detailed and intimidating with so much information it's impossible to absorb all at once. You should see the section on post-op sex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband is actually very patient with me but I can tell he is pained when I get nervous. Of course he's nervous too but is not the type to show it.

I realize that Dr. Boachie is one of the very best and could probably fix my curve with his eyes closed....

Well....the bottom line is, no matter how I feel about it, I'm going through with it and I do believe that I will probably be fine. I start donating blood in about 3 weeks; my pre-op tests are May 25.

Thanks for everyone's support.
              Chris

Comment

Hi Chris
                My surgery is scheduled for 6/26 and 6/27 (A/P), with Dr. Neuwirth and I just scheduled my pretesting for 6/4 and I also will be giving my first unit of blood. Some days I am fine and some days I just cry. I can't believe June is here already and I am very nervous. My family is supportive except for my mom. She is having a hard time dealing with this. I hope she will be ok.I know this is something I have to do now at the age of 41.

Thanks for listening!!!!!

Maria

Comment

Correction prtesting on 6/4

Sorry
                  Maria

Comment

Chris,
                    Certainly understand your fears, concerns, etc. Remember, I'm only a subway ride away from HSS so please let me know if you need anything. We're all here for you. LYNN
                    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                    2000 Partial Rod Removal
                    2001 Right Scapular Resection
                    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

[QUOTE=Singer] You should see the section on post-op sex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [QUOTE]

Can you share it with us?

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,
                        I totally know how you feel, since it was just 4 weeks ago that I was walking into the hospital surgery morning, feeling like it was all a dream. And I remember well the many months before, thinking will this ever REALLY happen!!?? Am I really going thru with this, and like you, I KNEW I was because when I examined my other choice (getting worse, ending up with a walker or wheelchair), I had to do it. And now it's now and it's over and I can't believe it still. And as I'm writing this, in my brace, sitting, then standing, then sitting, trying to get comfortable, healing, body and mind, I'm so happy that I went thru with it! In 3 days, I face a 5 hour plane ride home...... but each event, each day, I handle a little better, and feel a little more natural with my new posture.
                        Chris, You CAN do it!! It does almost seem impossible when you think too hard, that as a human we can handle such big traumas to our bodies, but we can! Think about healing from a bad accident or something... it's amazing. Please email me if you want to ask anything!! It's still so fresh in my mind and I also know I have a ways to go...and I CAN handle!
                        Berta in Hawaii

Comment

YES you can, YES you can!

Chris,
                          I read your post yesterday, and could immediately feel that elevator like dropping sensation that you must have experienced. It was about a half hour after confirming my own A/P surgery dates (6/12 & 6/24) and hearing that I should start eating beets and liver (two foods I have never had in my house!) to bring up my hemoglobin. The first thing that came to my mind for both of us was the line Lauren Bacall had for Humphrey Bogart: "Hold on. It's going to be a bumpy ride!" My mood swings go from terror to hope minute by mintue, but I am trying to think only positive thoughts for all of us who have scheduled dates and those who anticipate scheduling their date. Like the Little Engine who progressed from "I think I can" to "I know I can", we need to make "YES, we can!" our mantra!

On a more serious note, the NE Baptist, and many other hospitals, encourage fusion patients to read Peggy Huddleston's "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" and participate in a workshop of the same title. I spoke with a 71 year old patient of Dr. Rand's who credits her successful A/P fusion recovery to this program. She had her surgery in January and was getting ready to leave on a bus trip last week, by herself, to visit her daughter several hundred miles away! She clearly is a diesel locomotive engine. Googling "Peggy Huddleston" will bring you to her web site and info about her program "to help you feel calmer before surgery, use 23-50% less pain medication and recover sooner". I'm going to definitely try the program before I become a nut case.

Hang in there, Chris! There are plenty of "Little Engines" on this wonderful forum who are going to help all of us get to the other side of the mountain.

Linda W.
                          Linda
                          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

THANK YOU!!!

Linda, I had not heard of that book and will definitely look into it. It's got to be better than my current addiction to People Magazine, don't you think??

Berta, good luck with your trip home! You're amazing.

Thanks again Lynn! - also Shari, RiRi, Amber, Theresa,Geo and Suzyjay.

And Chris -- about that post-op sex section -- let's just say that it involves a lot of rolled-up towels, squishy pillows, and lying verrrrry still.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

That sounds like something I can do by myself too!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                              X