Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undergarments for Braces??

Hi folks,

My 12 year old gets her brace in 3 weeks time, just got plastered up for it this week! We're in Aussie Land - so any suggestions for the best type of things to wear under the brace?? What about bra's??

thanks
    Del
    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

i highly suggest training bras because if you get the regular ones then depending on how the brace is made the bra can push into her skin and it leaves marks.

..not goood.
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Okay, I have a boston (TLSO) brace. I'm not quite sure what type of brace your daughter wears, but I got special shirts called boston T's that go under my brace. If your bracemaker doesn't supply these, you may be able to find them elsewhere-I'm not sure. Try checking online. Also, for bras I don't suggest anything with an underwire (it hurts!) but sports bras or training bras seem to work well.
      I am 14

I love knitting, reading, dancing, singing, acting, etc.

I have a boston brace

My curves are 18 and about 9 in my brace

Originally my curves were about 15 and 30

I wear my brace 18-20 hours a day

Comment

Training bra underneath, most definitely! Also, the Boston brace company makes the Boston T. You only need to order maybe four or five, and just keep up w/washing them. Some insurance companies will give you a break on the price if you have a prescription for them from the orthopedist. You can get them directly from the Boston Brace co. or sometimes from your orthotist.

Terry

daughter wore Boston brace for 3 yrs
        original curves: 28 thoracic, 32 lumbar

Comment

well i usally wear a cami with a bulid in bra. because if u dont cover the whole stomach the brace rubs againest it and leaves marks.
          They Call me Laura
          Im 13 years old
          I have a mild 23 degree cruve

Comment

My son only will wear the Boston T's under his Boston brace. The other shirts that he tried under the brace he did not like.

Comment

im also kinda new to the brace.. i have the cheneau brace..
              the most comforting bras for me are cami bras ( i get them at old navy) and my second choise of bras are the sport bras.. mostly any bra is good without metal.. metal bras can cut you or leave marks on ur skin from the pressure of the brace. Now undershirts, the shirts i wear under my brace are regular fuit of the loom t-shirts. Since there are some shirts that are more open on the sleeve parts/ chest part, i cut the undershirts to fit. I have like for one shirt a undershirt cut especially for it so you wont see the bottom shirt.. im very picky about that.. lol..
              Last edited by ~ScoliosisGirl~; 07-08-2007, 05:46 AM.
              My name is Rotem
              I am 13 and in 7th grade
              Started with 2 curves:
              34º Therotical
              50º Lumber
              I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
              Got my 1st on Nov. '06
              Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
              Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
              and im still trying to get used to it
              Hoping I won't need surgery
              I live in South Florida
              3rd check on November 17,2007,
              Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
              30º Theoratical
              37º Lumber
              4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

thanks!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, yes the training bra's do the trick. Plus the brace does give extra lift - LOL!

Unfortunately we are in Australia (Aussie Land) and they supply zero in the way of ready made undershirts for the brace. I've found a lady who makes something and we use shoulder pads for under the arm where the brace digs in!

Love your Homer - Work in Progress Scoliosisgirl!!

xx
                Del
                Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                Sydney - Australia
                Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Does anyone know where I might be able to find (order?) the Boston T's?

My daughter gets her brace on Thursday, and was simply told to wear a snug fitting T-shirt. But I am on a search for something that will work well, and comfortably for her. I am about to head out to look for some seamless t-shirts. Hopefully I am successful.

Any info would be helpful!

I am new to this and feeling quite overwhelmed.
                  J's Mom
                  in NC

Comment

Here is the link to order Boston-T's http://www.bostonbrace.com/boston_t.html. Hope that helps all of you who are looking for undershirts. Also, Costco has some camisoles that are long (cover the torso down to the upper thigh) and are snug fitting if you want to purchase a couple tops until the T's come. They are made by Lady Hathaway and say on the package that they have extra length.

Comment

http://www.bostonbrace.com/boston_t.html

Those are the shirts that the orthotist provided to us when my dd got her brace.

Comment

Thank you! :-)
                        J's Mom
                        in NC

Comment

http://www.falke-shop.com/index_IM_A1.htm this is a site where you can order sports under ware ( shirts) tight fit with small armholes so it doesn't iritate, some of my patient's have tryd it and they liked it, you can also check out other brands of outdoor materials or running materials, it doesn't always have to be cotton, the advantage of the new materials is that they divert sweat away from the body keaping you dry.
                          hopefully you can do something with this.
                          stan

Comment

Boston T's

My daughter wore her Boston brace from age 10-16 and recently had to have surgery. Therefore, we have about 7 old braces and a supply of brace undershirts that I'm not sure what to do with! We have a supply of Boston Brace Silver t's in great shape that I would love to pass on. We have 1 medium -still in the package and 12 mediums in "like new" condition (she actually preferred the older white style, so the newer silver style got very little use). We also have 1 size large silver T. In the Boston Brace T in the white, we have 2 medium "like new" and 3 with slight wear, but in good condition. We also have 4 T-s in a natural cotton that I tried that a mom makes for use with the brace. My daughter definitely found the Boston brace T-s to work best for her, they are stretchy and do not wrinkle under the brace. I'm just looking to get reimbursed for postage and help someone else out. I will be happy to e-mail anyone who could be helped.
                            Debbie, mother of Sarah, my star!
                            Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed age 10
                            Boston Brace from 10-16
                            Spinal Fusion T4-T-11, Age 16 - July 2007

Comment

brace t's

hi Debbie, i was just wondering how the sizes are labeled? like are these shirts medium in kids or adults? and does the sizing match up with regular clothes?
                              haha just wondering. i'm not sure if they'd work with the spinecor, but they sound good.

HI
                              Im 15
                              im pretty outgoing
                              JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
                              in the 30s.
                              somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

Working...
                              X