Please post are you a M or F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please post are you a M or F

It seems that there are more girls that are open to expressing thier thoughts and feelings than guys are... some how i feel like im the only guy here so please post if your a male or female and degree of curvature and if u got surgery.

thanx

Ivan

thinking about surgery... T12-L3 43* T12-L5 69*
    right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Hi Ivan,

You are so right!!! Us women do express ourselves here more than the men do, but who gives a crap, we all have the same concerns and feelings!!!

I don't think it should matter whether we are male or female, but I do think that it may be more helpful to new members if we explained our situations in our signatures. I'm one that's guilty of not doing that, anyone else have thoughts on that???

Shari

Comment

Hi
      I am the mother to a guy who does not post here probably for the reasons you say. You can see from my signature what his curves are and he is just 2 1/2 weeks away from surgery. He does not seem to be too scared of the upcoming surgery, unlike his mom. But he was totally terrified of the blood donation he had to give this past week. It turned out to be a bad experience but the blood was donated and he's happy to have that over with. Blood donation does not have to be a bad experience it was just our circumstances. If you are interested I'll explain more. Any more questions on a guys perpective just ask. He does talk to me about his feelings. Good luck with your decisions
      mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
      diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
      also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
      fused T4 to L1

Comment

Hi Patrick's Mom,

I had a glich in my blood donation, probably not like his, but would like to hear your story.

Shari

Comment

Hi Shari,
          Thanks for being interested in Patrick's blood donation story. I"ll try to make this as concise as possible.
          We started the procedure at 10 am and didn't leave until 5pm. It was one long day.
          They needed 2 pints so the plan was to take them on the same day and he would get an IV to replenish his fluids. Here is a quick run down of order of events.
          Put freezing on three needle sites, one in each arm and one on hand, to freeze skin (my son was terrified of the pain from needles but okay to watch everything happening)
          nurse spends too much time talking about details of the procedure and throughout the day asks him every 5 minutes if he is okay-Inserts IV needle- spend 1 hour trying to get 1 ml of blood for testing of hemoglobin before taking donation-mother trying not to get frantic for sons sake-blood taken is clotted-sent to lab anyways-wait- nurse comes back with news that lab won't test clotted sample - three options are presented 1) go home and abandon mission 2) reinsert IV in other hand (son gets frantic) 3) go to another lab in same hospital and they will draw the blood with finger prick -son gets frantic asks if it hurts-nurse says yes, she hates having finger pricks-mom gets frantic -says to son doesn't hurt, she's had them before- mom feeling annoyed at nurse-decision for finger prick made so go to lab-huge line up-mom and son get frantic- nurse says maybe we should abandon mission or try another IV- mom gets really frantic-mom decides just take the blood any way you can and get it over with-son gets frantic-mom says to nurse don't give us details just do it- nurse does it-son almost passes out-it's over though much faster then the whole wasted morning for clotted blood-wait for blood testing-go back to donate two pints of blood and get IV hookup. First blood donation took 9 minutes second took 6 minutes but we were there for 6 hours. Just hope the surgery goes smoother, but I know this nurse won't be in the room so it should go well.
          mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
          diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
          also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
          fused T4 to L1

Comment

Sorry Ivan, I'm not going to help here. My daughter obviously has scoliosis, maybe you could start a thread like 'Would like to talk to other men with scoliosis' then us girls will get the hint and not take over.

Patrick's mom
            My daughter seems to be more afraid of the blood donation than the surgery too. I hope we have a better experience than yours. I ran a blood donor fair at my hospital once and never had anything like this happen.

Good luck with Patrick's surgery, I hope you'll be able to update us when you have the opportunity.

Comment

Wow, my blood donation story is not as dramatic, but I gave my first blood donation yesterday and ended up getting really nauseous and hot and sweaty about half way through. The nurses laid me down and put cold compresses on me and I actually started to feel better a few minutes later. It took me a while to get up though because I kept getting dizzy and nauseous. I still have two more blood donations to go (one a week). Is this normal?

Thanks,
              Anya
              "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
              Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
              19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Patrick's Mom,

My glich was in my outcome report and I had it done through the Red Cross. I can't imagine what you guys went through!!!

And Ivan, I hear you!!! If you want us women to keep out, just say so. But I really don't think it matters what gender we are, we still have a lot of the same emotions, fears and concerns.

Shari

Comment

Hello, Ivan:

Have you read today's post started by Bryan ("CorkScrew")? It's called "One Year Anniversary." He had surgery in 2006 and sounds like an open, communicative person. You might be interested in communicating with him........

Hope this helps,

Brynn

Comment

Hey Ivan. Welcome to the club! You came to the right place for info. Everyone here is a wealth of information and support. I'll be happy to answer any questions you've got from a male perspective.
                    Bryan

Corrected T4 to L4 in May 2006
                    Thoracolumbar Curve
                    Before 65 Degrees - After 26 Degrees
                    Thoracic Curve
                    Before 52 Degrees - After 25 Degrees

Comment

6 months post op

Also male and 6 months post op. Statistically, there are more women with scoliosis but it tends to be more severe when it occurs in men. It's not so bad, I'm getting used to being in the minority....

Comment

Hi Iam a girl but my son has scoli he is 3 I have found that it is more common in girls at least for congintial scoli and hemmi vertabra.

Comment

Hi Mwessolek,

Welcome to this forum!!! We will be here for you when you need us. Don't hesitate to vent here or ask questions. You will always find support here!!!

Shari

Comment

Hey thank you all for the info and the feed back... wow i just came back from the dr. and i guess my scoliosis is pretty bad in the sence that he said that if they would do the surgery since its in the lower spine it would be pretty hard to correct and that it would not even straighten out too much since my back is too rigid has no flexibility, so i guess that did get me a bit down... and more the fact that he told me that my fusion whould have to prob. be from T11 to the sacrum i heard lots of dr. tried to avoid this but its pretty low... so im going to go back and get some sort of scan so they can do like a computerized surgery or something like that

well thanks alot for the feed back

ivAn
                            right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Comment

Working...
                            X