Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berta is my hero!

Hi all,

I went to visit Berta and Billy today before they head home Mon. the 30th. I wish all of you facing surgery could see the wonderful results she got as well as how great she is doing! You would RUN to your surgeon tomorrow to have your surgery done. I was truly amazed. She is walking at a normal speed, (if not a bit faster then normal) up and down inclines and stairs like she never had surgery. I was not walking at that pace, in the same recovery time, and I had 1/2 the fusion she did! I thought I had a fast recovery....... Granted she isn't done yet but well on her way. More so then you can imagine in your wildest dreams. I am so proud of her and had to share with all of you how awesome it is to see such a wonderful out come. Keep her in your thoughts as she heads home. Hopefully it will be a comfortable trip.

LOVE YA BERTA!! Suzy

Hi Suzy,

Go Berta! Thanks for posting this. I can't exactly say I'll be RUNNING toward surgery , but Berta's experience is extremely encouraging. (Maybe we should all sign up with HER surgeon?!?!?)
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

OK everyone, let me tell you that Suzy is exaggerating!!!!! Really! I am doing really good, but not quite as quick on my feet as she says, and she just saw me at a good moment. Later in the day, I'm quite a bit slower and very tired too. Afterall, tomorrow is 4 weeks since my surgery, and I have to "practice" in order to get on a 5 hour flight home to Hawaii, plus the getting to and from the airports! Ouch.
      My post-op in Oakland, the 1 hour car ride each way, the walking the halls of the hospital, the waiting and sitting, etc. showed me how hard it still is for me. To get comfy will be a challenge, since laying flat on my back is still my favorite position. Even flying 1st class, since the SF to Kona seats don't recline all the way, I won't be flat. So I think with some sitting straight up, some standing, some walking the isle, and maybe if we prop up my butt with pillows, I can get in a semi flat position. Suzy suggested my side, and maybe that could work if I can get my legs up too! We will see. Wish me luck!
      (And thanks, Suzy, for all your positive energy!! I had to show off to you, you know!)
      Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Berta:

You go, girl! I'd love to see your "after" photo someday! When do you fly to Hawaii? I have a feeling you'll do better than you might think.........

Take care,

Brynn

P.S. Suzy: You're so cute!

Comment

Hi Brynn,

There's not a darn thing wrong with having a competetive nature!!! Some of my biggest achievements I had after my surgery came from either being pissed off or feeling the need to prove something. There's nothing wrong with showing off!!! It gave me a reason to strive harder!!!

As hard headed as I am, you have got the best of me, because I was not able to get on this forum and read it for any length of time, and there was no way I could even complete a paragraph!!!

Keep up the good attitude, you're a strong person and your doing great!!! You may have down days, but they'll pass, so don't let them get you down!!!

Way to go,
          Shari

Comment

Dear Shari,

Thanks so much for the kind words and support. My surgery is only a little over 2 weeks from now! Soon I'll be on the other side, like you are.

Take care,

Brynn

Comment

Working...
            X