Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im not getting surgery [ well not yet at least ] but heres a good question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im not getting surgery [ well not yet at least ] but heres a good question...

i was on spine kids and i was reading a few surgery stories.

1. someone had an incision from the front... is that common and why would they do that.

2. why do people get a brace after surgery?

i hope someone can answer one of possibly both of these questions.

im in a brace now but i think i want the surgery because i doubt i can live with a curved spine the rest of my life.

-heather. <3
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

if there's a scar on the front, it means they had an anterior surgery approach, meaning they went in through the front and past the rib cage. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

not all surgeons prescribe a brace post-op, but some do. It can be for protecting the patient after surgery, stabilizing the spine, etc. Some doctors only use one for lumbar patients, some do it for everyone. If I ever need a fusion, my surgeon told me I'd need a lumbar brace for 4 months post-op... it all depends.
    Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

Drummergirl is correct. A surgeon will decide to perform the surgery anterior, posterior, or both depending on which they believe they can get the most correction from. I have a lumbar curve, and my surgery is next week. I already saw the brace they're giving me, and I even tried one on. They said I won't have to wear it while I'm laying down, but everytime else I do, for 2-3 months. They said it was for support, and it has padding inside that creates pressure in certain areas so you stay in place.

Comment

Working...
      X