Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S -Shaped Scoliosis Question

Hi,
    I am new here but i am happy to have found a bunch of people who know what it is having scoliosis and i am looking forward to being a part of this group.

I am a 29 year old with S shaped Scoliosis. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when i was abt 16 (as afr as i remember) but i am originally from a developing country (now living in the US for the past 5 years) so all i remember the docyor saying was, we should monitor it as i was growing and that was the end of it.

So, after that, i finished school, started working, got married and went on with my life. Other than the suffering from occasional back-aches and of course the frustration of not being able to wear some figure hugging clothes all thruout my adult life, i have learnt to live with it.

Anyway my scoliosis has surfaced again as an issue as i recently applied for and got pre-selected for an airline job as an air-hostess and as per their medical requirements, any scoliosis should have an Cobbs angle of >30.

Thats my story and sorry its been long but this is my question.
    So, i got my 'scoliosis series' done for this and as per the radiologists report, i have a 60 degree angle of dextroscoliosis and 65 degree angle of levoscoliosis. I searched the internet far and wide to determine my cobbs angle but didnt find any leads.

Please help me. In your opinion will i or will not fall within the medical requirements for the airline.

Thank you.
    Heshy
    Last edited by Heshy; 04-22-2007, 05:20 PM.
    Heshy - Almost 30
    S Shaped Scoliosis
    T 65 L 70

I think you have an s-curve, "dex" and "levo" indicate which side the convexity lies on (which way the curve goes and how big it is). Your Cobb angle is just another way to express the measurement of your curve, your straight spine being 0 degrees and then they draw a line through the twisty vertebrae and measure the angle where that tilted line crosses the straight spine line. (We say twisty a lot, or remarkably flexible, or curvy.)

I think you might be above the airlines requirements. I hope not!

- Martha

Comment

Hi,
      And thank you MarthaK for the reply. I was wondering why no one responded when so many had viewed it. I feel now that maybe they didnt want to give me the bad news.

Yes, i also think that they will reject me. I was hoping that the cobbs angle will be the difference of the 2 angles when its an S shaped scoliosis and so that i should be ok. But it isnt, is it? Well, what to do, life goes on.

But i got very interested with my condition with everything i read on this website and others. And i feel that i need to go see an orthopedist and discuss my options. As i mentioned in my earlier post, so far i havent had much discomfort with it but i kind of feel that my back aches are more frequent now and more painful. Also i realize that the curves do worsen over time even though you are not at a growing age which was the impression we (me and my parents) were given when i was first diagnosed.

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you once again.
      Heshy.
      Heshy - Almost 30
      S Shaped Scoliosis
      T 65 L 70

Comment

I have the S-Curved Scoliosis. But mine arent as bad as Heshy's curve's, I've opted for the surgery as I'm 19 almost 20. A surgery date hasnt been set yet. I'm not letting my scoliosis get in my way of any jobs i may apply for in years to come
        2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Thank you for the response.
          I think you are very brave Cina for going ahead with surgery and i wish you all the very best for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. I shall keep you in my thoughts.

I am terrified of having surgery and specially on my back. Not being able to walk for a while scares me but if it has to be done, it should be so, isnt it?

And yes, if i had done something abt my scoliosis sometime back maybe it wouldn't have progressed so bad and maybe i would've had a better chance at that job. (BTW, they havent rejected me yet).

But once again thank you for your response.

Heshy.
          Heshy - Almost 30
          S Shaped Scoliosis
          T 65 L 70

Comment

I didn't get it

Hey all,
            Yes, they have decided to withdraw my offer of employment from the airline. Well, even though i expected it i am honestly disappointed.
            This was a childhood fantasy of mine that almost came true and almost by chance. And at this point of my life where i needed this, i am once again lost on what to do.
            If i said having scoliosis havent affected my life, i take it back, it has and in a big way. I feel the pain now..............

Sorry for the rambling but my life is very complicated right now (dont want to get into the ugly details) and so feeling very lost and had to vent.

Heshy.
            Heshy - Almost 30
            S Shaped Scoliosis
            T 65 L 70

Comment

Hi,

Althought my reply is quite late but you have to know that your curves can be corrected. I had a severe twisted curve and my life was not the same anymore. A correction surgery is very helpful. All you need is time to heel and adjust to your new situation. I wasn't able to tie my shoes as the Dr. told me not to bend my back for 6 weeks at least so I had to figure out how things gonna work and they did. I've walked the third day post op and in three months was back in the swimming pool which helped alot.

I never thought that my condition will come in the way of my dreams and it didn't. You just learn to live with it.
              w/curves of 75 degrees Fused T2-L3 in 1999 at Age 14, Fine job done by Dr. Paul Sponseller at John Hopkins Medical - Baltimore, Maryland.

Comment

Working...
              X