Sleeping in a Milwaukee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping in a Milwaukee

Hello, I am new here and had Scoliosis as a child mostly due to spinal muscular atrophy. I had a Boston brace when I was younger. 8 years ago I was in a car accident and now my curves are worsening. They misdiagnosed the trauma to my spine and over the past 8 years the muscle around my spine has not had a chance to heal and is dying and my curves are now at 26/34 it was managed to a 13/20 before all this. They say by the age of 40 It can effect my nervious system. I am now in a Milwaukee brace and trying really hard to wear it. They say if I wear correctly, perhaps the muscle can become less aschemic and grow back. If it does not, surgury is on the horizon. How do you sleep in this thing. I was afraid as a younger kid of the Milwaukee brace. The Boston Brace was so much easier and the bending brace might have been worse than this, I dont know? Thanks for all your help and advice in thee past.

I have had Scoliosis all my life and suddenly its back due to trauma, I have had 2 boston braces, a Charlston Bending Brace and now this Milwaukee.
    Kevin
    AIS and Traumatic Scoliosis
    Degrees always differ (LOL)
    THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!

I wore the Milwaukee as a teen. For sleeping, I would surround myself with pillows and position them however it felt comfortable. I'm pretty sure I was able to sleep on either side or back as long as I positioned pillows the right way. Best wishes to you -

Renee

Comment

I suggest getting other opinions in your case with doctors well conversed with spinal muscular strophy; wearing a brace without concurrent physical therapy to strengthen the spinal/abdominal muscles could cause them to atrophy further.

I have a very long fusion and must work diligently to keep my trunk strong with a program that works for me. Some have had success with yoga for scoliosis.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

That was Then

Karen, when I was a teen, my scoliosis was due to slow muscular growth surrounding my spine. Some Docs believe it is the cause of scolioisis on a whole. Some did deteriorate. I was in an accident 8 years ago and they looked at my spine and not the muscles, my muscles are eschemic and unatached now causing my spine to curve again as an adult. They wanted to put me in a cast to allow the muscle to attach and heal, but they settled on this milwaukee brace, so I could still do therapy. Thus my name TraumaScoli. I have an S curve that is worsening and they want to stop it at its base growth. If the muscles do not solidify or grow etc. surgery is on the horizon. I go in May 1st to see how far the growth has come. if it is working I will wear the Milwaukee much longer if not, May 24th is probably when I go in. I have seen many doctors, an finally got a correct diagnosis.

Thanks for your reply
        Kevin
        THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TraumaScoli
          Hello, I am new here and had Scoliosis as a child mostly due to spinal muscular atrophy. I had a Boston brace when I was younger. 8 years ago I was in a car accident and now my curves are worsening. They misdiagnosed the trauma to my spine and over the past 8 years the muscle around my spine has not had a chance to heal and is dying and my curves are now at 26/34 it was managed to a 13/20 before all this. They say by the age of 40 It can effect my nervious system. I am now in a Milwaukee brace and trying really hard to wear it. They say if I wear correctly, perhaps the muscle can become less aschemic and grow back. If it does not, surgury is on the horizon. How do you sleep in this thing. I was afraid as a younger kid of the Milwaukee brace. The Boston Brace was so much easier and the bending brace might have been worse than this, I dont know? Thanks for all your help and advice in thee past.

I have had Scoliosis all my life and suddenly its back due to trauma, I have had 2 boston braces, a Charlston Bending Brace and now this Milwaukee.
          Hi : Go to www: koob-scolitech.com . Hope you like it .
          BETall

Comment

Thanks BETall

BETall, Thanks for your reply, I visited the sight and they are all TLSO's. I am sure they can help in some pre-op or post-op situations but I needed a CTLSO because of the muscle damage in my neck and shoulders. They were thinking a cast, but went with the classic Milwaukee, but thanks. =)

TraumaScoli
            Kevin
            THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X