Am I Healing Too Slowly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Healing Too Slowly?

I had scoliosis surgery on 2/7/07, and for the last 2 months, I was coming along fine until just this past week. This past week I have been feeling a lot of pain in my lower back and hips. Sometimes it is difficult getting up from a chair, I will attempt to get up and then the pain will cause me to fall back into the chair. At my doctor's visit this past Thursday, I was told that I was healing just fine, and that I should start weaning myself off the back brace. While speaking with the nurse about the pain I was still feeling, I was surprised that she thought it was unusual, since I've already had 2 months of recovery. I began weaning off the back brace on the night of my doctor's visit. Just 3 days later the pain in my back began to get worse. I am wondering if the pain got worse as a result of weaning off the brace, or perhaps my pain medication needs to be adjusted. Could I just be healing too slowly?
    I am currently taking Oxycodone HCL 10 MG - 1 pill 3 times a day, and breackthrough pain medication - Hydrocodone/APAP 7.5/7.50 TBMCK - 1 pill - 3 times a day.
    Please, if anyone reading this has had the same experience after their scoliosis surgery, I would appreciate the sharing of your thoughts by replying to this thread.

Thank you,
    Suzyjay

Hi suzyjay, I had my surgery on Feb. 28. I'm starting to wean off my brace too and have been experiencing some sharp pain in my mid-back. I was told at my one month post that I was healing fine too. I think the reason is from wearing the brace so long and my back not being use to it yet...I hope!!! Hope you get to feeling better!!!

Comment

I had my surgery in the month of April and I remember my husband took me out to dinner for my birthday, which was in August. I was still in the brace, but I asked my doctor's office if I could keep the brace off, just while sitting inside the restaurant, so I could wear a nice outfit. They said it was fine and I made it through appetizers, but eventually I was in so much pain, I had to take my dinner home with me. I think I was generally sore and my muscles were not ready to work yet, and I might have been tense as well. I had to go home and lie down and take medicine. I remember being so annoyed, because it was such a setback, but within a short time, I weaned off of the brace and had no pain.
      Heather
      Surgery date: April 20, 2004
      Anterior/posterior surgery
      Fused T-11 to L-5
      Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
      Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
      Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
      Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Suzyjay,

You have to trust your doctor when he says you're healing fine!!! Every time I had a new or different pain, I can't even count the number of times I assumed something was wrong.

I was in my brace longer than you, but weaning off of it does cause pain because you're starting to use muscles, that are not only in the healing process, but you weren't using them that much before because the brace is a lot of support. Of course that is only my opinion, from my own experience.

I hope you don't mean that you are literally falling back in the chair???

Take care,
        Shari

Comment

I know this will have nothing to do with the topic, but i was told that certain people heal faster the others. I'm 19 and i've been told i'll heal quicker then someone whos in their 50's
          2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Working...
          X