Yea...it's over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea...it's over!

Aloha all! Well, I'm back, 2 1/2 weeks post op and doing pretty good. It still feels like it will take forever to feel "normal", but what should I expect in such a short time?! Thanks for Suzy, she kept you guys updated, since somehow I just couldn't face posting nor even reading the forum. (why???)
    My surgery went really well, fused from T5 to Sacrum, so lots, but in the end, I think I'll be much happier than only getting the bare minimum, which delt with pain only. Heck, if I'm going thru all of this, I sure don't mind some cosmetics too. Dr. Gorek with Kaiser in Oakland is wonderful for sure.
    I'm wearing a brace, and not loving it, but standing or sitting without it feels too weird. Laying flat on my back is my most comfy position, but you can't do that forever, or forget getting stronger. My brace seems to pinch a couple of nerves when I have it on for too long. I guess this is all a process, so just figuring it all out as we go! Plus the meds and constipation! Hate it! Anyway, all in all, I'm doing great, I think.
    I would love to hear from you guys!
    Berta in Hawaii

Congratultions and Welcome Home!

That is wonderful news! Welcome home! My husband and I honeymooned in Hawai'i and I can't imagine a place more conducive to healing! Congratulations on being 2 1/2 weeks post-op...I can't wait to be able to say that.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Congratulations!

Berta, great news! So happy for you. Take care of yourself, rest, don't overdo it, follow the doctors orders, take your meds so the pain doesn't catch up to you and you'll be a new person in no time. The worst is over. All the best to you. LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Welocim Back Berta

I'm so glad everything went well. When your feeling better, I sent you a PM with some questions I have, as I will be having my surgery at Kaiser in Oakland in a few weeks.

Thanks,
        Patty
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Berta,

Welcome back... I'm glad everything went good for you...

I sent you a PM...

Luv Lee
          Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome home to the forum!

Yea Berta!

So glad to see you update everyone on your own for a change!! I was getting tired of it! Kidding............. you know I love ya! You are on your way and each day gets better. I know you are experiencing this and it is great for those facing surgery to hear it first hand from you. I will be in touch. My best wishes always.

Comment

Glad to hear from you. We've all been thinking about you and look forward to hearing about your ongoing recovering. Take it easy!

Best,
              Anya
              "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
              Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
              19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Berta,

We appreicated the updates from Suzy, but it's great to hear from you, and so soon!!!

My recovery was a learning process also, just be safe, take it slow, but walk as much as you can. Don't get down when you have a bad day, we've all had them.

I had a love/hate relationship with my brace, I'm glad I had it, but it was wonderful to get out of it.

You're doing great!!!

Shari

Comment

Go Berta! It's so great to hear from you -- I'm so glad everything went well. Keep us updated on your progress!

All best,
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now all you have to do is take it easy (not too easy) and get well! I learned to really like my brace. It made things so much easier. Please keep us posted on your recovery or just come to chat when you are bored which will probably be a lot.

Krysi - 13 days until my revision

Comment

So glad to hear from you!

Berta,

So glad to hear that everything went well and you are home recovering. All of the worst is behind you and every week will be a little better from here on. All of the problems you mention sound very familiar to us post-ops and are a temporary part of the healing process.

Take your meds and get as much rest as your body needs. Let others take care of you for a change and don't worry about your house!! We'll be watching to see how your recovery goes.

Deb
                      surgery 7/24/06
                      T5-L5
                      for s curve T72,L77
                      50% correction
                      DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!

Comment

Berta,
                        Aren't you glad it is overwith? I am 4 months post op and fused T4-S1. I am starting to live a "normal" life again and it feels great! I'll be thinking of you-so glad your surgery went well!
                        Cathie

Comment

Berta,

So happy to hear that your surgery went well and without any complications. Best wishes for a smooth recovery and then you can move on with your life.

All the best,

Chris

Comment

Thank you everyone for so much positive feedback! Everything is starting to sink in. I did it!! Oh my......now just the paitence, and all your advice, to take it easy, WALK a lot, (it becomes so comfortable to just take that brace off and lay flat). My mom is with me and has re-taught me to knit, so I've found a way to knit laying on my back! I'm knitting a baby beanie for my new grandchild due in Oct. Plus watching this whole horrific event about the massacre at Virginia Tech......so so terrible, so sad.
                            Was sitting hard for anyone? Since my curve was mostly in my lumbar, the doc said he had to "reshape" my spine to give me a little of a sway which I didn't have before, so it feels like my lower back doesn't know what to do and my butt is being pushed way out. He said I only "feel" that way, but look normal. Hope my muscles and spine get use to this new posture! My lower back gets so exhausted after just a short while sitting in my brace. It sure looks better in the mirror though, but feels so strange!
                            Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Congratulations!

Berta,

It is really great to hear from you and to know that you did it and are now firmly on the road to recovery!! Learning to knit while flat on your back is quite an accomplishment! Surround yourself with happy people and thoughts to keep you upbeat while you recover. If you have not already read it, Nora Ephron's wacky collection of essays, "I Feel Bad About My Neck", is a quick and funny read and easy to pick up and put down if your attention span is wandering.

We look forward to hearing about all your milestones!

Linda W.
                              Linda
                              Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                              S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                              Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                              Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
                              X