Has anyone had this done during surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had this done during surgery

Just wondering if anyone has had this done when they've had the Scoliosis surgery Stagnara wake up test.

I've been reading up on it and i just dont want to get woken up up half way through the surgery to move me toes or feet. I know i wont be able to remember a thing or fell any pain. Its kinda got me a little scared

Jacinta
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

I think this is very common... I'm not sure if they did it to me, and I didn't even ask, but they did tell me prior to surgery that they might do it.
    Nothing to worry about- you won't remember it!

Comment

I was never told about it when i went to my usually appointments. From what i've read you dont remember a thing

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

wake up test

Yes, this is normal. I had this surgery about 13 years ago and I had the "wake up test" and was told to wiggle my toes...although I don't remember it. Don't worry...nothing to be scared about. At one of my pre-surgical appts. they told me they were going to do this during surgery and so I was aware it was going to take place, but I don't remember it.

Comment

I was never told about it by my doctor in australia though. Thanks for your help

Comment

I had it done with my Cervical fusion surgery, my Dr. said I was awake for about 30 min. and I don't remember that part, but they also woke me up at the end of the surgery when they were taking the tubes out of my throat and placing the brace on and I did remember that.
            Patty 51 years old
            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
            Posterior T3- L4
            Pre surgery curves
            T-53degrees
            L-38degrees
            and a severe side shift to the right.
            Post surgery curves
            Less than 10 degrees
            Surgery April, 2006
            C4 - C6

Comment

I know I had a wake up test, but I'm not quite sure if what I remember is for real!!! I remember seeing my Dr. and pointing to the tube in my throat, and him nodding his head up and down.

But Linda R. has explained to me that my eyes would not have been open, so it may have been a dream!!!

Shari

Comment

This is going to be my first ever surgery so I’m trying to get all the questions I need answered out in the open and finding any relevant information about the surgery

Comment

hi

I had the wake up test, but I remember absolutely nothing about it, which is probably for the best.
                  Last edited by kazyn; 04-16-2007, 08:21 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
                  Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
                  Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
                  Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
                  Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
                  No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
                  Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

I had it too because I read my operative report. This is done to insure there is no paralysis before they complete the operation. It's done under "light" anesthesia and I do not remember it at all.
                    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks for all your help, ity's put my mind at easy about it

Comment

I had this done, and I do remember the Doctors telling me to wiggle my toes. I couldn't see them I just remember hearing them, I felt no pain it just felt like a dream. I wouldn't worry about this you won't feel a thing. Best wishes to you.

Leslie

Comment

I had the wake up test and do not remember a thing. I was a little freaked out at the idea, but also it was reassuring that my doctor did not completely rely on machines to determine whether or not my nerves were fuctioning correctly.
                          Heather
                          Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                          Anterior/posterior surgery
                          Fused T-11 to L-5
                          Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                          Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                          Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                          Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I had the wake up test....but I only know that becuase they told me
                            The idea of it scared me!!! But I don't remember waking up

Comment

I had the test and I do remember wiggling my toes but not seeing anything. Very much like a dream.
                              Katie

Comment

Working...
                              X