PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had this done during surgery

Cina2005
04-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had this done when they've had the Scoliosis surgery Stagnara wake up test.

I've been reading up on it and i just dont want to get woken up up half way through the surgery to move me toes or feet. I know i wont be able to remember a thing or fell any pain. Its kinda got me a little scared

Jacinta

Lesly
04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I think this is very common... I'm not sure if they did it to me, and I didn't even ask, but they did tell me prior to surgery that they might do it.
Nothing to worry about- you won't remember it!

Cina2005
04-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I was never told about it when i went to my usually appointments. From what i've read you dont remember a thing

Imagerycaptured
04-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Yes, this is normal. I had this surgery about 13 years ago and I had the "wake up test" and was told to wiggle my toes...although I don't remember it. Don't worry...nothing to be scared about. At one of my pre-surgical appts. they told me they were going to do this during surgery and so I was aware it was going to take place, but I don't remember it.

Cina2005
04-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I was never told about it by my doctor in australia though. Thanks for your help

sccrm08
04-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I had it done with my Cervical fusion surgery, my Dr. said I was awake for about 30 min. and I don't remember that part, but they also woke me up at the end of the surgery when they were taking the tubes out of my throat and placing the brace on and I did remember that.

Shari
04-16-2007, 01:42 AM
I know I had a wake up test, but I'm not quite sure if what I remember is for real!!! I remember seeing my Dr. and pointing to the tube in my throat, and him nodding his head up and down.

But Linda R. has explained to me that my eyes would not have been open, so it may have been a dream!!!

Shari

Cina2005
04-16-2007, 02:37 AM
This is going to be my first ever surgery so Iím trying to get all the questions I need answered out in the open and finding any relevant information about the surgery

kazyn
04-16-2007, 08:21 AM
hi

I had the wake up test, but I remember absolutely nothing about it, which is probably for the best.

Karen Ocker
04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
I had it too because I read my operative report. This is done to insure there is no paralysis before they complete the operation. It's done under "light" anesthesia and I do not remember it at all.

Cina2005
04-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all your help, ity's put my mind at easy about it :)

Leslie7
04-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I had this done, and I do remember the Doctors telling me to wiggle my toes. I couldn't see them I just remember hearing them, I felt no pain it just felt like a dream. I wouldn't worry about this you won't feel a thing. Best wishes to you.

Leslie

Heathmoose
04-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I had the wake up test and do not remember a thing. I was a little freaked out at the idea, but also it was reassuring that my doctor did not completely rely on machines to determine whether or not my nerves were fuctioning correctly.

sparks42
04-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I had the wake up test....but I only know that becuase they told me
The idea of it scared me!!! But I don't remember waking up

katiev25
04-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I had the test and I do remember wiggling my toes but not seeing anything. Very much like a dream.

HGD24
04-20-2007, 09:36 AM
From what I understand, they just lighten the amount of anesthesia that you are being given so you're not really awake, your mind is just aware enough to be able to hear the doctors and respond to their request to move a bit. When they are done with the test, they give you the full amount of anesthesia again and you go back to being fully under.

amae28
04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
i think dr's either do the wake up test or they use electrodes to moniter nerve function during surgery... my surgeon uses electrodes but i'm sure either is just fine...

SandySo
04-24-2007, 12:10 PM
On the operative note that my surgeon gave me, it said that after the operation, I was "awaken" and then relocated to the recovery room...

So, yeah, I guess my surgeon did the "wake up" test on me, too, but I do not remember a thing at all!

To this day... I have people who visited me after the operation laugh and tell stories of how I reacted while I was hospitalized. According to them, I said a lot of hilarious stuff or stuff that did not make ANY sense, was dozing in and out of sleep in the middle of conversations, etc. I was very incoherent, but all and all, we can look back and laugh about it now...

Cina2005
04-25-2007, 08:42 PM
I was never told about it by my doctor, I only read about it. I'm not sure when my operation is though. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this topic