Digestive problems....or nerves??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digestive problems....or nerves??

I remember a few people talking about indigestion and reflux-type problems before their surgeries...problems that went away after surgery. I have definitely begun to have that weird feeling of food not going all the way down and indigestion....like everything I eat feels like it comes halfway back up and sits there in the middle of my esophogus. I really wonder if it's the jitters or if my curvature and rotation has pulled my stomach into a weird position. I mean, the whole left side of my body is collapsed and folded in on itself -- that's got to have some effect on my organs, right?????

The more physical discomfort I have, the more ready I am to get the surgery over with. That's the good part of waiting.......

Anyone else who's waiting for surgery having weird digestive issues??
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Hi, Chris.

How are you doing these days (besides the digestive problem)?

Lately I've been having loose bowel movements that I'm sure are due to stress, since this has been happening on days I'm feeling especially stressed out about my upcoming surgery. My whole system seems extra sensitive. I'm on Progesterone for 13 days every other month, and this month it is making me have severe side effects I don't usually get. I've been giving blood the past 2 weeks and this has also depleted my system. The blood bank nurse said this could be causing some of the weakness and tiredness I'm experiencing too. Stress can do a lot of things. In your case, whether or your reflux is due to your scoliosis it will most likely get better after your surgery, as you have said. So that's good!

Take care,
    Brynn

Comment

Hi Brynn -- I'm okay, thanks! You know -- just trying to keep my s**t together!!! It's a challenge, isn't it?!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

It is amazing how digestive problems are so closely related to stress and anxiety. After I found out about surgery I was having A LOT of problems with digestion and went through multiple tests. It turns out that everything is related to stress. It is best to check things out with a doctor, but you are definately not alone with these symptoms. I've been working on different techniques to control my stress/anxiety level after realizing how much control it was having over my body.

Best of luck,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Chris,

I know you're a nervous wreck waiting for your surgery!!! I was too. And it is amazing what stress and anxiety can do to our body.

I wish I could reach out and hug you, because I know what you're going through, I wish there was something someone could say to take it all away for you, but from my experience there wasn't.

And for me it was hard because I didn't feel like I could show my fear, I didn't think anyone would understand. But you know we all understand what you're going through, so I hope you take a little comfort in that!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Chris

With a simliar lumbar curve to mine, I'm guessing that your digestive issues could be the same as mine. I had difficulty swallowing (stuff like bread just seemed to get stuck just above heart level in the oesophagus) and was getting a lot of painful reflux. I was assured (after tests) that this was a mechanical problem caused by my curve pushing my stomach into the wrong place.

Since surgery this has been much improved, but if I do anything where I try and bend above my fusion (such as a lot of leaning forward over a coffee table for instance) then I can guarantee that I will get problems after that even now. My thoracic curve is still uncorrected (for the time being) and I still have what some people would consider large curves at 30 degrees + and they say that this is why the heartburn etc hasn't gone completely.

On the good side, I've gone from having it 3-4 times (or more) every week to less than that per month. I'll settle for that as an improvement!

Good luck with the surgery - try not to worry - it really is worth it!
            Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
            Post op 30(T)/33(L)
            http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X