Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything that happens BEFORE surgery....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything that happens BEFORE surgery....

I have an appointment with Dr. Wagner in Seattle on May 15. I'm guessing he will recommend/suggest surgery as my first doctor did.

Because I am travelling from Alaska to Seattle, I am curious how many times I may have to do that before the actual surgery. Will I need to travel down there for bending x-rays, or is that something that can be done in Anchorage? Will I need to travel to donate blood, or can it be transported (yikes)?

What are all the pre-surgery things I need to take into consideration, as far as what I may or may not need to travel for?

Thank you!
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Geo,

As you know, I am currently on the edge of surgery. I can only tell you what has been true so far from me, but I don't think you should need to worry about traveling too much. My bending x-rays were done at a different location. My surgeon told me to just bring them with me the day of surgery, so you should not have an issue there.
    I am sure that in regards to pre-operative tests, there would be special arrangements made for your current doctor to work with your surgeon in Seattle. (I wouldn't want to travel all that way just to pee in a cup!)
    In regards to the blood, I think there are other options for you to consider. I am under weight and therefore was not able to make the deposit at all. If need be, they will have to pull from what they have.
    I am sure there is someone else out there who has had to travel quite a distance and could give you better answers. I just wanted to let you know, that my hospital and surgeon are less than 10 miles away, and I still had many other options for all of the pre-op adventures.

Comment

Working...
    X