Berta just called!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berta just called!

Oh my gosh you should have heard how wonderful Berta sounded! She is being discharged tomorrow and is doing very well. She said everyday is a big improvement and if someone had said 4 days ago she was going home tomorrow she wouldn't have believed them. Her fusion is T6 to S1. She talked her Dr. into going higher then he had planned to correct not only her upper curve but also her hump, both were achieved. He told her he got better correction then he thought he would. She is thrilled at the height she got back, she couldn't believe it when she stood up the first time!

Berta said to tell everyone thank you for the support and she will log on as soon as she can. Sitting up in her brace is uncomfortable at this point.

You would think it is Christmas morning for me I was so happy to get her call. I just can't tell you all how happy she sounded. She is LAUGHING! No not from the meds, she is on her way to a new beginning and is thrilled.

Hurray! Can't wait to hear from her - keep up the good work Berta!

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Yea!!! Congratuations Berta!!!

I will pray that everything continues to go well and quickly in your recovery!!!!

Ann
      44 year old female
      Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
      Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
      Posterior Only, 9 hours
      Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
      Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Berta, I'm so happy for you, I hope your recovery continues to go so well.

Patty
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

I just wanted to add my best wishes to Berta's good recovery. It so nice to know she is doing so well. Give her our regards!!!And a Happy Easter!!!

Shari

Comment

that's wonderful, give Berta my best!
            Suzy-who was her surgeon?? I forgot? was it Dr. Mermer?

Comment

Ly...

Berta's surgeon was Gorek.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thks Linda--for some reason I thought it was Suzy's surgeon...

Comment

Way to go, Berta! I am so happy for you! Suzy, thanks for these updates. They are much appreciated.
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

4/10/07 e-mail received

Hello to all of you again,
                    I got an e-mail from Berta and she is doing fine. In her own words "I am doing GOOD, considering how radical this all is." She is walking around using a walker due to her equilibrium. She said she feels grateful to have quality of life in her future. She gained back 2" and is in a "turtle shell brace" for the next 3 months. All have told her she is doing great and her surgery was a success. She was discharged the day before Easter. I know she will be on the forum as soon as she can to share her experiences. She will appreciate all the good wishes and thoughts you have all posted. Thanks!

Comment

Wow -- that must be so cool to be 2 inches taller. No wonder she needs a walker til she gets used to her new height. Please tell Berta I'm thinking of her and that she's an inspiration to those of us awaiting the same thing!
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                      X