attention, or soreness. The rest involved "indirect" events in which
    appropriate diagnosis was delayed and/or inappropriate manipulation
    was done for serious medical conditions such as meningitis. The
    reviewers commented that despite the fact that spinal manipulation is
    widely used on children, pediatric safety data are virtually
    nonexistent. This type of review cannot determine how often adverse
    events occur. That would require a prospective study with active
    surveillance. The article did not consider harmful aspects of
    chiropractic care that are far more common than the reported events.
    These include (a) decreased use of immunization due to misinformation
    given to parents, (b) psychologic harm related to unnecessary
    treatment, (c) psychologic harm caused by exposure to false
    chiropractic beliefs about "subluxations,"
    http://www.chirobase.org/01General/chirosub.html and (d) financial
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

They should manipulate pelvis first. Scoliosis is just a result when something is wrong in pelvis.

Comment

Originally posted by expatient
      They should manipulate pelvis first. Scoliosis is just a result when something is wrong in pelvis.
      Expatient, once again you have made it sound as though you believe EVERY case of idiopathic scoliosis is the result of pelvic problems. You already agreed in another thread that this cannot be the case. Be careful! This board is for people to get accurate information and it isn't fair to make inaccurate, sweeping statements like this.

Comment

Karen,

Thanks so much for this! I've passed this information along on another board.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny
          Expatient, once again you have made it sound as though you believe EVERY case of idiopathic scoliosis is the result of pelvic problems. You already agreed in another thread that this cannot be the case. Be careful! This board is for people to get accurate information and it isn't fair to make inaccurate, sweeping statements like this.
          I believe every scoliosis has its cause. And it is not my idea. I just read what doctors write. So whose information is accurate? Them who tell scoliosis can be treated without surgery or them who tell it is a desease?

Well I had scoliosis for over 20 years and it's gone now...

Comment

Quackbuster Stephen Barrett...Busted

For those of us who are using chirbase dot org and other related website by Stephen Barrett may want to take a look what the latest news about him, then decide for yourself if you can make your health decisions based on his opinion.

"Dr. Stephen Barrett of Quackwatch Exposed In Court Cases
            At trial, under a heated cross-examination by Negrete, Barrett conceded that he was not a Medical Board Certified psychiatrist because he had failed the certification exam.

This was a major revelation since Barrett had provided supposed expert testimony as a psychiatrist and had testified in numerous court cases. Barrett also had said that he was a legal expert even though he had no formal legal training.

The most damning testimony before the jury, under the intense cross-examination by Negrete, was that Barrett had filed similar defamation lawsuits against almost 40 people across the country within the past few years and had not won one single one at trial.

During the course of his examination, Barrett also had to concede his ties to the AMA, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Food & Drug Administration (FDA)."

P R E S S R E L E A S E

Please also read the latest news on :

Quackwatch Founder Stephen Barrett Loses Major Defamation Battle

I have nothing against MD but those who try to attack other for their own gain, the world needs to know about them.

Tim

Singapore Chiropractor

Comment

Thank you for that... !

Comment

Originally posted by expatient
                Well I had scoliosis for over 20 years and it's gone now...
                Really.

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Typical, when one doesn't have any way to defend their argument, they attack the person instead of staying on the argument.

http://www.chirobase.org/08Legal/koren/suit.html
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
                    Yes, it is "typical" for people to attack others when they can't support their argument... much like you have towards me in the past because you have no experience or knowledge of what I do (Aside from what "Dr. Quack" chooses to purport about it??? ).

I'm not going to sit here and defend expatient or anyone else for that matter... We both know I take issue and skepticism towards some of those 'claims' made as well.

I will say that I commend Singapore Chiro for stepping in and pointing out that "Dr." Barret (a.k.a. - Quackwatch) has not been completely honest or forthright either. Although I can agree with some of the falsehoods he's made light of, I can also say that many of his "claims" about fraudelent or "quackery" therapies are completely unsubstantiated and downright wrong.

Some of the assertions he makes on specific disciplines do in fact have medical and scientific backing to show their efficacy. He commonly misrepresents them in his inaccurate descriptions of their intent and mechanisms of effect. But I realize that only those who are educated in the medical/health care realm would be able to decipher these inaccuracies.

You say that people shouldn't skirt the issue at hand, and I agree... But we should also consider the reliability/credibility of our sources.

"Dr." Barret discredits my profession on his website, yet many reputable M.D.s and surgeons are highly supportive of its use and efficacy. Who's more reliable... The Drs who are witnesses to the effectiveness of therapies or some outdated, pseudo-psycho-doctor who lies about his credentials and has NO experience with these disciplines???

I'm not supportive of the use of chiropractics on children (or adults for that matter at the frequency and duration that is typically 'recommended')... but I also don't support the use of unsubstantiated slander and deformation of professions by someone like Barret. So I think bringing his 'history' to light is relevant here... It doesn't change the results of the study you posted... I think what you brought to light is important for people to know and consider.
                    But you posting his account of one of his legal incidents in question does not put him in the clear for his wrong-doings and deceit... What else would you expect him to do other than defend himself and weasel around the issues?

Comment

Structural...

Please reference any time I've attacked you personally. I've definitely debated points, but I can't remember ever stating anything about your credentials or anything about your personality (despite the occasional desire to do so).

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Please reference any time I've attacked you personally. I've definitely debated points, but I can't remember ever stating anything about your credentials or anything about your personality (despite the occasional desire to do so).
                        I'd say that qualifies as a passive aggressive attack of sorts... not unlike previous ones when 'questioning' my credentials, integrity or the like.
                        Typical, when one doesn't have any way to defend their argument, they attack the person instead of staying on the argument.
                        My thoughts exactly... . Besides, if the basis of an argument comes from what MR. Quackwatch thinks, then one would need to first establish his credibility before continuing with an argument that revolves around his mis-informed report of supposed "truths".

So until you can show that what the psycho-doctor has to say about every discipline he's dismissed is true or accurate, it doesn't seem feasible or ethical to use his 'opinion' as fact. If you want to share studies on chiropractics or whatever to warn people of potential dangers, that's fine. Even if you have some personal agenda to dismiss everything but drugs and surgery, that's fine... . But using Mr. Quackwatch as a source of reliable information is simply absurd.

Comment

Dr. Barrett's credentials

http://www.quackwatch.org/10Bio/biovitae.html

By the way, the "latest news" cited by Singapore Chiro is from 2 years ago. What has happened since then?

Regardless of anyone's opinions pro/con I AM impressed with his actual record and experience. I don't know of any chiro with those credentials/experience do you???

One does not have to be Board Certified to be a legitimate licensed practitioner; in some sub-specialities Board Certification is a very recent development.

Isn't this forum for successful scoliosis care/cure/research???

Has anyone on this forum been successful with arresting scoliosis or reducing significant curves permanently with chiro come forward with those results???
                          Last edited by Karen Ocker; 11-23-2007, 09:53 AM.
                          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

At trial, under a heated cross-examination by Negrete, Barrett conceded that he was not a Medical Board Certified psychiatrist because he had failed the certification exam. This was a major revelation since Barrett had provided supposed "expert testimony" as a psychiatrist and had testified in numerous court cases. Barrett also had said that he was a "legal expert" even though he had no formal legal training.

This was not the first time that Negrete was a trial attorney in a Barrett case. He also represented anti-fluoridation advocate Darlene Sherrell in a federal lawsuit filed in Eugene, Oregon by Barrett. Barrett also lost in trial of that case. Negrete also represented Robert King of King Bio in a case filed by an organization led by Barrett, which was lost by Barrett’s organization. Barrett has also filed a lawsuit against Negrete and his client Dr. Hulda Clark, which is now pending and awaiting trial in San Diego, California federal court.
                            This is impressive? ...Deceit and lies of his own... ??? His "bio" has the most rediculous accomplishments.... he may as well of included prizes and awards he won in high school.. ! All it shows is that he has spent his entire 'career' trying to put a stop to alternative and complimentary medicine.... Too bad it has now become the most sought after form of health care in the US, with people making more demands and claims for coverage for Alt. and Compl. health care versus conventional palliative care. The proof is in the effect and obviously people feel it's often more effective than Barret cares to realize.

Originally posted by Karenocker
                            One does not have to be Board Certified to be a legitimate licensed practitioner; in some sub-specialities Board Certification is a very recent development.
                            Psychiatry Board Certification is nothing new! He FAILED the exam in the early 90's!!!

Originally posted by Karenocker
                            Regardless of anyone's opinions pro/con I AM impressed with his actual record and experience. I don't know of any chiro with those credentials/experience do you???
                            It doesn't take much to work in cahoots with the Federal government or affiliated agencies... . The founder of my profession graduated with a PhD in biochemistry from Columbia University college of physicians and surgeons 30 years before Barret graduated from there... What makes him so special?

Geoffrey Bove, DC, PhD, is a chiropractor and full-time neurophysiology researcher at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and an instructor at Harvard Medical School. I've met Dr. Bove and I'd say his efforts have integrity and good intentions to answer scientific questions that no M.D. has yet to answer. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._n8922654/pg_1

Isn't this forum for successful scoliosis care/cure/research???
                            Cure??? Anyway, yes it is here for a support system and resource to find out information on what is out there... Not for people and Stephen Barret to carry on their personal agendas to silence anything but the usual norm. I'm just recommending to consider your sources and intentions before posting references to people like him. If you don't want to be critical in your choice of sources or choose not to question at least some of his 'opinions', then that's your business... but don't go around pasting his non-sense as the gospel.

Has anyone on this forum been successful with arresting scoliosis or reducing significant curves permanently with chiro come forward with those results???
                            That's not what I'm debating with you here... don't skirt the issue at hand just because you can't support your argument... The issue is the reliability and accuracy of Stephen Barret as a 'source'... Not the the study on pediatric chiropractics for use with scoliosis.

Comment

Whoa Structural:

I would love to check out your link but my Computer Security gave me this message:

McAfee SiteAdvisor Warning
                              This e-mail message contains potentially unsafe links to these sites:
                              findarticles.com

(I receive E-mail answers to posts).

I'm not saying the guy is an expert but I do keep an open mind and still prefer evidence based science because that is how I am trained.

Comment

Working...
                              X