Glad to find all of you-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to find all of you-

I am new to this, and I am so very grateful to have all of you to guide me through this. No one else really understands what we go through. I find such comfort in finding others like myself, and even more comfort in finding answers to my many questions!!! I am scheduled for surgery the end of May and I am trying to stay upbeat. It is probably strange, but I fear waking up from surgery in incredible pain, or being severely nauseated more than anything else. Anyone have some advice or things to avoid? Thanks from another newbie-
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Welcome, welcome. We have all been newbies and know the fear and anxiety you are facing. One thing that we all have experienced is the worry about the unknown. This forum will help you find out a bit about what to expect.

You asked what to avoid. How about worrying yourself to death about everything. Those of us who have done this laughed at ourselves later at all the time spent worrying about things that turned out to be nothing!

As to waking up from surgery in incredible pain, no. I woke up and thought "wow it's over". I had excellent pain control. If you have had severe nausea in the past from anesthetic just mention this and they will give you something to prevent it. It worked great for a friend of mine who had surgery.

If you give us more information we can better inform you based on our own experiences. For example your age and where you will be fused. There is a lot of information here, you will be surprised. I don't think anyone sugar coats their experiences so you will get truthful answers you can believe. Remember though, we are all different. But, this will give you a good idea what lies ahead for you. Best wishes.

Comment

Hi -- Your fears are mine exactly and you know what? Suzy's right -- worry won't change a thing. I'm planning to tell the surgeon and the anesthesiologist and anyone else who will listen that I really don't want to puke when I wake up from surgery. There are lots of ways they can prevent that nowadays....and pain control is a given for a surgery this big.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Welcome,

I totally understand your worrying about coming out of surgery in pain or nausiated. I've had a couple surgeries in the last 18 months and the first I woke up with dry heaves and that was the worst. After the last surgery (I had C4 - C6 fused), I woke up just fine. I don't know if they gave me something for the nausia as I had told them about my previous experience.

Good Luck
        Patty
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Crepehanger,

I would like to welcome you also!!! I accidentally found this forum and read it for quite a while. I didn't actually make my first post until 9 days prior to my surgery, and that was the biggest mistake I think I could have made!!!

I realize now, that I could have been getting a lot of comfort and support that I didn't have in the long wait I had before my surgery. I still gained knowledge from just "lurking" here, but it wasn't until I started to participate in the conversations, did I find a weird kind of relief.

Good luck and take advantage of all of out here that are here for you!!!

Shari

Comment

Welcome! This forum is absolutely wonderful. I am going into surgery 2 months from today. I would also like to thank those who gave advice about talking to the doctors about past experiences with nausea. That was one of my big concerns and I will be sure to do that. I woke up from my thyroid surgery EXTEREMELY nauseous.

Best of luck with everything and welcome!
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

They have a wonderful little drug called Zophran for nausea. Make sure your anesthesiologist is well aware of your sickness with surgery and they will load you up on it. Krysi

Comment

Welcome! This has been one of the best sources of support for me and for so many others. You will always find someone who can relate to what you are going through and advice when you need it. We're here for you.
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Nausea

I had two surgeries within four months. The first one I had to stay an extra day because I was so nauseous it was awful. I mentioned it to the doctor just before going into the second surgery and they gave me something (don't know what) but it was great. I ate that day with absolutely no problem. Tell them about your concern. LYNN
                  1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                  2000 Partial Rod Removal
                  2001 Right Scapular Resection
                  12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                  06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                  X