Set the Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set the Date

I have set the date of my surgery with Dr. Shelokov for 9/24/07...way too long to wait, but worth it I hope. He plans to do posterior only and fuse from T2 or T3 down to L3 or L4. He said that the actual surgery will only take about 5 hours, but set up, closing, bringing off anesthesia, etc., can take another 3 hours or so. I am also on the waiting list for an earlier surgery date if one opens up.

I was okay until I wrote it on my calendar. I had a bit of a panic attack then because it's real now.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

You're already doing better than me if the reality of the surgery hit you only when you wrote it on your calendar! I began crying in the doctor's office (every time I go in fact)... I wish you the best in your wait and surgery. I still do not know if this is what I really want to do and it is only a week and a half away for me. Take advantage of the time you have to plan and research and ask questions!

Comment

Yeah, the wait's a killer. I'm actually at the point where I just want to get the damn thing over with.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Congrats on setting the date! I completely understand how difficult it is to wait. I have waited over a year to get my surgery and tomorrow is the 2 month countdown until my surgery (June 5th). Deep breaths! Best of luck with all the preparation. Hopefully I can be of help since I'm going through it a bit sooner.

Best,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

congrats with setting the date! yes it is a long wait, but you will get through it. I scheduled my surgery last year for A/P on June 26 and 27 and now I am also at the point where I want to get this over with!!!!!

maria

Comment

Facing similar surgery

Ann,
            Your upcoming surgery sounds very much like what I'll be having in Jan/Feb. Look upon it as a positive that you have a date set. Come here often- if you don't already. You'll see a lot of your concerns addressed and get some sound good advice. The time will just fly!
            CSC
            Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
            S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Hi Ann,

Like everyone else I want to congratulate you on setting a surgery date. That's the first step in a really difficult decision. I know how hard it is because I too made that decision in February, and I'm still wondering if it's the right one. I'm having surgery on June 18 and I wish I could get it over with too because as you know the wait is really tough... I think the anticipation and mental strain may even turn out to be worse than the actual surgery. I know what you mean about writing it on the calendar, I put all my dates down on my calendar and that's one thing I have yet to write down because that will make it seem more real... at the moment it's still a surreal thing and I'm too scared to write it down and change that. I'm scheduled to start taking my iron tablets around the middle of this month and then donating blood next month, so I know as soon as I start doing that it will seem real because I won't be off the tablets until after surgery. Scary thoughts.

This site has truly been a blessing to me and it's one of the main ways I've managed to remain as strong as I am at the moment. When surgery was first mentioned I cried and walked out of my doctor's office. Since then I think I have come quite a long way and it's all because of the supportive people I've found on here that I can relate to. I hope that this forum proves to be as helpful for you as it is for me. I wish you all the best

Nadia
              Nadia
              I'm 19
              Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
              Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
              Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
              Surgery date: June 18, 2007
              "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Comment

Hi Ann,

Just remember you're not alone!!! Once I actually set the date, and was told I was having ant/post, I felt the blood rush to my stomach. I wanted to cry right there in the room, but I fought it. I seemed to be in a daze.

My husband was in the room with me, but my Mother was in the waiting area, and as soon as I came out she naturally wanted to know what he said, and I couldn't answer her. I went straight for a box of tissues.

The anticipation of this surgery was difficult for me, as well as many others here. It's very normal. The support of your family and friends are a wonderful gift to have, but I have found that only the people that I have been blessed to have met here on this forum, really understand exactly what I was going through.

Take advantage of this site. Ask questions, express fears and just vent. We all understand what you're going through.

Shari

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all so much!! I really appreciate the support I have found on this site. It is absolutely invaluable. Thank you!!!

Ann
                  44 year old female
                  Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                  Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
                  Posterior Only, 9 hours
                  Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
                  Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Working...
                  X