Should I even try this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I even try this?

Ok. I have a chiropractor telling me that he can straighten the curve in my spine which is at least 20 degrees. Haven't had anyone look at my back since the doctor released me at 16 (I'm 37 now). Should I even mess with him or let him try? I'm afraid he will cause problems. Right now I have the usual annoying back pain, but not all the time. He had some pretty convincing x-rays of curves he has pretty much straightened or made significant changes. He could tell I was extremely skeptical. Would you bother?

I don't think 20 degrees is something of much of an issue to want to get corrected, and also at the same time a range in which optimistic chiropractors like him can take advantage over you easily. I'm not saying if he can really reduce curves or not, but with a curve that mild he can most certainly cheat his way into making his claims, just by x-ray positioning for example.

If his treatment program is going to be really expensive and require you to go 3 times a week for a long period of time, i would be very cautious about making a decision, but on the other hand i would stick with visitations and limit them according to just how much i would need to reducing the pain.

Comment

I'd be weary of this individuals optimism and certainty. At 37 years of age your vertabrae have undergone a certain degree of bony deformation (there shape has been altered into the pattern of the curve). The facets (areas where each vertabrae meet the other and articulate) have also changed shape slightly. With this in mind, no adjustment is going to make your spine 'straight'. The bones are only capable of repositioning/re-orienting to a point at which those altered shapes will still permit functional movement. It would take several months and years of re-enforcement in the opposing direction of your curve to change the shape of the bones again. I don't believe chiropractic adjustments are capable of this alone.

It may give you temporary relief from some of your pain, but it would take much more than adjustments of the bones to achieve any significant correction.

I don't think 20 degrees is something of much of an issue to want to get corrected,
      I see what you're saying here, relative to more severe curvatures, but.... 20 degrees can still cause someone significant problems at some point in life. It may be minor by comparison to others, but at the same time it also provides an opportunity for change that could be the difference in living with constant problems and living fairly comfortably.

There are options for ross71, but I don't think chiropractic adjustments alone is the solution for any scoliosis.

Kindly,
      structural

Comment

Thanks for your opinions. I pretty much agree with what you guys have said. I don't really believe a chiropractor can straighten me up the way he claims. Always gonna have one shoulder lower than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by structural75
          It would take several months and years of re-enforcement in the opposing direction of your curve to change the shape of the bones again. I don't believe chiropractic adjustments are capable of this alone.
          If you don't mind me asking, what more do you think can be done to change the shape of the bones and reverse the scoliosis, if chiropractic adjustments are not enough.

Comment

Working...
          X