Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wean off brace gradually??

Hi everyone-
    Dr. Boachie told me to wear my brace 3 more months when I saw him the 1st of January (surgery was Dec 12). I have been wearing it just about all the time during the day-is it ok to just stop wearing it or should I wean off it gradually? Funny thing-I feel more discomfort without it than when I am wearing it! It seems like I do not notice the "wierd" feeling in my back as much when I have the brace on. But it is getting warm out now and with the undershirt and the brace I think this is good timing to get rid of it! Just wondered how everyone else started not wearing their brace- thanks!
    Cathie

Hi Cathie...

I also felt better with mine on. I weaned out of mine in about a week.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I feel much more comfortable in mine too. I am allowed to have half an hour a day with out it on and I feel like a toddler finding her feet as I am so wobbly. I suppose it is a case of getting used to having time out of it.
      Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
      Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
      Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
      Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
      No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
      Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

brace time

My doctor told me to wear my brace when I walked around, (I decided to also wear it when I sit.) I don't wear it to sleep and take it off to use the bathroom, I am fused from t4 to L4.. It seems like everyone else has to wear their brace for longer periods of time. Maybe I didn't get complete instructions when I received the brace or is there anyone out there like me?

Sue

Comment

I wore mine less than I probably should have. I wore it mainly when I was up and walking around a lot and always when I would leave the house. Never in bed or when I was just sitting. I was completely out of it by 7 weeks. My dr told me in the hospital that he wanted me to go without it sometimes becuase he didn't want it to become a security blanket.

Comment

Thanks everyone- I went without my brace all day today and it's funny how quick you get used to not having it on! I feel much more "normal" now-I guess this is a milestone in recovery. It feels good!
            Cathie

Comment

I had to wear my brace for 3-4 months post-op, just when I was moving around during the day. After the 3 months or so, I was told to wean off of it. I just read Heidi's reply and reference to the brace becoming a security blanket...yup, that's what happened to me...I was soooo afraid to stop wearing it when I was driving in the car. I also work in a school and was worried students would bump into me... In fact, there was a student of mine who would always come up to me and give me a hug and it was always on the left side, which was where they took the rib...argh! I was also constantly worried I would trip over toys (my room was near a preschool class). Eventually I got over my fears, but it took a while.
              Heather
              Surgery date: April 20, 2004
              Anterior/posterior surgery
              Fused T-11 to L-5
              Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
              Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
              Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
              Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I gradually weaned out of my hard shell brace at about 6 weeks into a corset-type support brace. I wore that when I was out of bed and gradually decreased the time in it by a couple hours every week.

I found that I needed it for back support when I started doing housework like vacuuming and mopping and grocery shopping until about 5 months, otherwise I would get increased soreness. Your back will tell you when you don't need it anymore.

Deb
                age 48
                posterior surgery 7/24/06
                T5-L5
                for s curve of 72 and 77 degrees
                50% correction
                DON'T WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT!

Comment

My Dr. told me at around the 3-4 month range to wean myself out of my brace slowly, in the follow 5 weeks. The first few days I would take it of a couple of hours each day, and I thought there was no way I would be out it in 5 weeks. I was out of in in 2, and happy as hell about it!!!

Shari

Comment

brace

After 6 week check up with my doctor, I told him the worst pain I had was in my hips and sometimes the top of my legs. He looked again at my x-rays and didn't see anything wrong. He thought it was my brace - he said to wean myself off the brace and gave me two exercises to do to help strenghen my hip and stomach (he feels my lower body is depending on the brace too much) and my hip and leg pain should go away. Well I went a little too fast....I took off the brace that night and the next 2 days I wore the brace for about a total 15 min. Now my lower back hurts so bad. I guess it's like over doing it at the gym. Needless to say I can't take the brace off (unless laying down). So take your time.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                    X