fever 6 days postop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fever 6 days postop

My son had surgery 6 days ago. They did a spinal fusion from T2-L3. We brought him home yesterday and today he has 100.6 degree fever. I do not know whether to be worried. The discharge papers say call the Dr. if it goes higher that 101.5. Anyone out there have a fever after surgery?? I would appreciate any advice

Post Op Fever

Hiya,

Spencer had a fever post op for about a week. The docs said it was due to the blood loss and replacement that happened during surgery. His fever never got above 100.5. 101.5 is the threshold commonly given to indicate bacterial infection that has moved into the blood stream. Usually, fevers lower than this are not a problem, but you should watch it carefully and if it does not go down you should call the doc.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Spencer's Dad

11 year old boy with PMD Luekodystrophy
    Nonambulatory, nonverbal, nonweight bearing
    VRO and Pemberton hip reconstruction at age 5
    Nissen fundo at at age 7
    Subdermal spinal drug pump at age 9
    Complete Spinal Fusion Jan. 9, 2007 at age 10.
    118 degree curve before surgery - less than 25 after!!

Comment

Thank you for your reply. We will watch him closely. He also had some diarrehea. The Dr. thinks he may have picked up a little bug.

Comment

My daughter had fevers. Up to 104 for a day within days of surgery. We were told walking and working the lungs would bring it down. As she got more active it did come down. Did they send you home with that hand held gismo to blow in? We did that hourly and it worked. We left the hospital with a fever and in a couple days it was gone.

Comment

We were not sent home with one of those things. We did figure out that taking slow DEEP breaths did help the fever. Thank you for your advice.

Comment

Working...
          X