Physical Therapy without surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy without surgery

Has anyone on here tried physical therapy with success, who did not get surgery? Did anyone have a reduced curve? How old were you when you tried it?
    April

Scoliosis discovered at 14 and 9 month-- 47 degrees
    Boston brace for 2 years (only 12 / 23 hours a day)
    Now 18 years old
    Thoracic curve 35, Lumbar curve about 52 degrees

Hi April...

I tried physical therapy about 10 years after my fusion, and have had some success in minimizing my pain. I wish I'd found this therapist before surgery.

Physical therapy is not going to permanently reduce your curves, but it might help you avoid the pain that would drive you to surgery. From experience, I can tell you that there are bad therapists and good therapists. My advice would be to try to find someone who specializes in spine.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Linda for your advice. I will do a lot of research on therapists. I was thinking strengthening some muscles while stretching other might reduce the chance of my curve progressing. Thanks for your imput, I will definitely start persuing it.
      April

Now 18 years old

Comment

Linda,
        All the PTs claim to specialize in spines. They all strengthen the "core" & the abs. Can you tell me if there's anything special that is done w/ a PT who specializes in spines, apart from strengthening upper & lower back & abs?
        Martha
        Mother of Laura, Age 19
        Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
        Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
        Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
        Fused T2-L2
        Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
        Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
        Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
        OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

malka,

I can't answer your question about special things done, but I know there are certain PTs who specialize in spine. I have not gone to one yet so I don't know what they claim, but I went on the website of my local medical center (it is a large one) and found a list of their PTs. It lists their education and specialties. Some had no specialties, but I did find a couple who specialized in orthopaedics and a few who specialized in spine. They are out there, but may be hard to find.
          April

Now 18 years old

Comment

Physical Therapy Methods

April Showers:

There are some specific definitive physical therapy methods that are designed for treatment of people with scoliosis such as Schroth, SEAS, FITS, and Dobosiewicz.

These methods originated in Europe and are beginning to gain some interest in the U.S. As with any method you need to find a trained certified therapist or else more harm than good may be done.

All of these methods and others will be presented at our Conservative Management of Scoliosis Conference in Boston in May. The Education Session on Mother's Day is designed especially for patients and their families to learn more about conservative treatments, see a demonstration, and talk with the scientific and clinical experts from around the world as well as other patients. We hope this is a helpful session for anyone struggling with trying to decide what to do for themselves or their children.

There is a great need to enhance our knowledge about conservative methods for scoliosis and ensure that any intervention to prevent or treat spinal deformity in children or adults is supported by evidence based research studies. This is the primary purpose of the Scientific Program of this annual conference.
            Best Regards,

JOB

Comment

I'm going to pursue Schroth method of treatment

In response to people requesting any physical therapy methods of treatment, I am pursuing some training with 2 Schroth certified PT's from Maryland the end of May 2007. I'll try to post some objective feedback when I return.
              Dori

Comment

P.T. for scoliosis

I'm a P.T. who works for a spine clinic in the midwest. I have advanced training in spine-related techniques which are common in the U.S., but I know my limitations. I sent my own daughter who has scoliosis to a Schroth clinic in Stevens-Point, WI, U.S in 9/06. At age 22, her goal was to reduce pain and maintain, not reduce, her curves. So far, so good. I will be attending the symposium in May so that I can learn more about the alternative programs Mr. O'Brien mentioned before I pursue additional training/certification myself.
                -Jen.

Comment

One easy trick to try at home and elsewhere (it works for me well):

pick a surface that is level, well-supported, smooth, and not too high: turn your hands palms down, fingers pointed behind you; place them on this special surface, and gently and slowly bring your body weight on them and suspend your body (ie, spine); and many times, I will feel a release as gravity tractions everything in the torso.

Obviously, your hands and arms should be in relatively good health.

Comment

hi Jen,

My daughter finished her Schroth Therapy at Stevens Point a week ago.. And I was very relieved to know she have the knowledge to take good care of herself, I haven't seen her yet personally since she came back from Wisconsin, but she sent me pictures almost everyday and I can see that she is more straight now than before. She don't complain anymore about the numbness on her shoulder as well.

And the people at the clinic are really great.. They care a lot, and will help you in almost evrything, even beyond their usual clinic services.They helped my wife & daughter appeal for US visa when they were denied first time.... Very generous people.. My wife said, the place is so nice and the people at the Stevens Point are very hospitable and kind.

I am just glad I made this decision. My daughter now have the tool of knowledge to help herself without having to wait to do something for herself.

edd
                    father to Denisse (37T/35L)
                    opt for Schroth Therapy

Originally posted by gardenjen
                    I'm a P.T. who works for a spine clinic in the midwest. I have advanced training in spine-related techniques which are common in the U.S., but I know my limitations. I sent my own daughter who has scoliosis to a Schroth clinic in Stevens-Point, WI, U.S in 9/06. At age 22, her goal was to reduce pain and maintain, not reduce, her curves. So far, so good. I will be attending the symposium in May so that I can learn more about the alternative programs Mr. O'Brien mentioned before I pursue additional training/certification myself.
                    -Jen.
                    Last edited by edd; 06-18-2007, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by three View Post
                      One easy trick to try at home and elsewhere (it works for me well):

pick a surface that is level, well-supported, smooth, and not too high: turn your hands palms down, fingers pointed behind you; place them on this special surface, and gently and slowly bring your body weight on them and suspend your body (ie, spine); and many times, I will feel a release as gravity tractions everything in the torso.

Obviously, your hands and arms should be in relatively good health.
                      Hi Three - Where did you learn this? I tried it - felt good, like a spine lengthening exercise?

Comment

Working...
                      X