PDA

View Full Version : rib hump

amber24
03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi, I am new to the site and I am one month post op. I do have a question and I would appreciate any responses. I had spinal fusion done from T5-L5. My spine curve was 72 and now it is 35. I do have a rib hump and my surgeon informed that I would have my rib hump the rest of my life. Did any of you have cases like mine and your rib hump did decrease? Again, I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you so much!!

Amber

tonibunny
03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi Amber,

Often the rib hump decreases following fusion, but if it doesn't then you can usually have a surgery called a costoplasty (sometimes called a thorocoplasty). This involves cutting sections from the rib hump in order to flatten it out. It can have amazing results! I've had it done and the result I had was fantastic :D

Bear in mind that it is a very very painful operation. It was definitely worth it for me though!

Good luck,

Toni

amber24
03-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Toni, I really appreciate the response. I was really hoping the fusion would help the rib hump. I had my one month post appt. yesterday and I was disappointed to hear my dr. say that he didn't think it would decrease at all.

Amber

LindaRacine
03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Amber...

Some surgeons are able to reduce one's rib hump almost entirely during surgery, by derotating the spine as much as possible. Others only get minimal or no reduction. As Toni mentioned, you can have a rib reduction surgery if it really bothers you. In the U.S., it's usually referred to as a thoracoplasty.

Regards,
Linda

Karen Ocker
03-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Amber, you still might have a lot of swelling this soon after surgery.

amber24
03-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Thank you Karen and Linda for responding. Of course I will give my body more time to heal and recover from the surgery.

Thanks again!! :)