Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Date Scheduled

Hi Everyone,

I went to see Dr. Boachie on March 12 and he, of course, recommended surgery. My curve has progressed further to 115*T and 85*L. He said if I don't have the surgery, then my breathing will continue to be compromised and I could end up on oxygen at some point. After a couple of weeks thinking about it, I scheduled my surgery for Wednesday, September 12.

I feel very confident in Dr. Boachie, but of course I'm pretty scared and nervous. It's the unknown and unexpected that I don't do well with!

Please send good thoughts my way for the next six months!
    MishP
    38 y/o
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 6 - Bracing didn't help
    Brace off at age 12
    Saw Chiropractor/massage therapist
    Pre-op
    Upper Curve - 115 degrees
    Lower Curve - 85 degrees
    9/18/07 Anterior/posterior surgery w/Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Fused T2-L3
    Not sure of post-op correction

With the operation

Hey MishP

Good luck with the surgery later this year. Hope it all goes well for you. I'm due for surgery sometimes this year but I dont know when. like in your case, both my curves continued to progress to 1 - 2 dgrees a year.

Once again good luck and i hope it works out for you.

Jacinta
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Good Luck Mish P!!!

Ann
      44 year old female
      Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
      Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
      Posterior Only, 9 hours
      Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
      Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Hi MishP,
        I had surgery with Dr. Boachie in December and my curves were severe also-(100 deg and a very severe kyphosis too). He is amazing-you are in great hands. I am recovering well-it is a slow road but every week I see improvements. Let me know if you want my email address- (PM me) If you have any questions I would be glad to help.
        Cathie

Comment

Mish,

The good thing about Dr. Boachie is, he has so much experience with severe curves like yours. It's all in a day's work for him. I'm glad you're having the surgery -- it's obviously the right thing for you.

Good thoughts and best wishes,
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Prayers & good wishes to you on your upcoming surgery. Make the most of this timeby preparing your body physically and mentally, and take the time to enjoy activities you may not be able to do for a while. Take care-

Renee

Comment

Mish----it was so good to meet you & Martha.....& hope we meet again in May...keep in touch....you are doing the right thing! I cannot tell you how fantastic I feel these days....unreal!!!!!!!!!!! I suppose I did'nt realize how truly bad I really felt for years prior to this surgery..........Ly
              ps...I made my surgery date a month after my initial appmt too.....
              pss. this forum will give you the support you need....

Comment

Mish -

You will be in extremely qualified hands. I don't have to tell you Boachie is one of the very best in the field. It is normal to be scared and anxious, but try to focus on the postitives. It sounds obvious, but worry won't change anything. Think of how much the quality of your life will improve after surgery. In the near future, it will all be behind you and the next chapter of your life will be just beginning.

Best of luck,
                Brandi
                Brandi
                Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                L1-S1
                Dr. William Lauerman
                Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Mish...as another patient of Dr. Boachie, I think you are in good hands. I felt very comfortable with him and scheduled my surgery a week after seeing him for the first time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask...especially as it gets closer to your surgery date. Good luck!
                  Heather
                  Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                  Anterior/posterior surgery
                  Fused T-11 to L-5
                  Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                  Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                  Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                  Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and encouragement! This site has been such a Godsend!

Good luck to those of you scheduled for surgery before or after me as well!
                    MishP
                    38 y/o
                    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 6 - Bracing didn't help
                    Brace off at age 12
                    Saw Chiropractor/massage therapist
                    Pre-op
                    Upper Curve - 115 degrees
                    Lower Curve - 85 degrees
                    9/18/07 Anterior/posterior surgery w/Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                    Fused T2-L3
                    Not sure of post-op correction

Comment