In the pool...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the pool...???

Ok, I'm going to Florida soon for my first airplane trip...probably send off the machines at check in....but..
    My question is since we'll be in the ocean & pool a whole lot, will I notice any difference on swimming/floating/treading in the water???
    I was wondering if it's harder to float or there's no difference what with the metal in there. Just kind of curious??? when I look at the x-rays , it sure looks like there is lots of screws & metal... Of course I'm still a bit stiff where the metal is & stomach incision & all...thks..Lynne

fused T-11 to L-5/ 8 mos post-op

Hi Ya Lynne,
    I remember the first time I got in my pool after surgery I couldn't float any more! I think because I had lost so much weight not because of the metal in me. I swam around a bit and it felt weird. I think I was only 4 months post-op. When I got out it felt like I had extra weight on my back. Being weightless in the pool made gravity feel so much more extreme to me.

Keep sunscreen on your scars and they will stay light. You are going to look so good in your new bikini all thin and straight! Let us know if you set off the alarms, that should make a great story. Have a great vacation! See ya, Suzy

Comment

Hi Lynne,

You are one busy woman!!! I'm curious about if you set off alarms also!!!

Have a great trip!!!

Shari

Comment

I am a bit nervous about setting the alarms off after several people saw my after x-rays & exclaimed ... " man you have a lot of metal/screws in you"....^& can you tell me why I keep buzzing at the gap entrance.....even without my pocketbook???? Ly

Comment

Hi Lynne! I didn't go into a pool but I did go into a hot tub at 5 months post op and it felt great!!! Like Suzy said, be sure to put plenty of extra sunscreen on your scar and if possible, you might want to wear a light colored tank top or shirt to help keep the sun off of it too. Although some of the rays still go through the material, it will help reflect some of them.

I also wanted to say to allow extra time in case you do set off the alarms (since my surgery, I always have). It can take up to 10-15 extra minutes to go through the entire additional screening process if you set them off. If you plan for it, it's no big deal.

Hope you have a great time! We're off to Disney again in May and I can't wait!

Comment

Hi Ly...

I have both anterior and posterior implants, and do not set off the alarms. Be sure to remove any jewelry, belts, shoes, etc. that contain metal.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lynne,
              I didn't set any alarms in the airport.... Lindy didn't even give me a note, so I'm very thankful that I didn't have to go through that!!
              I'm only a little less than 3 months, so I put medical tape on my scar or wore a tank top if I was in the sun... I was told that we shouldn't let our scars see the sun for 1 full year.. you're 6 or 7 months post-op right? I'm sure you could just use zinc or something, I was a bit overcautious, but keep it covered!!
              Les

Comment

Protecting your scar from the sun

There are many sellers of "SPF" clothing - everything from cotton tee's to surfing suits, and more. A Google search (I tried "sun proof clothes") will bring up lots of hits. Good luck
                As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Lynne,

I had trouble with floating after my surgery, it felt like I had a ton of bricks on my back. I also can't hold my breathe as long for swimming under water.
                  My husband has also noticed that my breathing and strokes are all a little different due to the restrictions with the rods. I can't turn my head to the side enough to get a good amount of air when doing the freestyle.
                  Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                  Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                  Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                  Fused T2 to sacrum
                  June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Lynne ask Boachie to give you a card that states you have had spinal surgery with instrumentation. That way, should you set off the alarms you can 'splain (sorry, I was watching I Love Lucy ) your way out of it.
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

swimming with metal

There is no difference swimming with metal. I swam competitively for years after my surgery. Swimmming is generally a great exercise for people with rods. I know a girl here in CT that was in the water a few months after her surgery and is doing great competitvely a year later

Comment

sailrgirl,

I have a very hard time now with swimming. My rods go up to T2 and I don't have full range of motion in my neck anymore. I can't turn my head to the right at all to get a breathe of air, it would be a mouthful of water instead of air. Turning to the left is a little better but I have to pull my head up out of the water before I turn it so I don't get a mouthful of water. I was able to do the side stroke fine but had a lot of trouble with the breast stroke as well. I think alot has to do with the length of the fusion.
                        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                        Fused T2 to sacrum
                        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Aquatic Therapy

I haven't been in a pool yet but my doctor referred me for aquatic therapy. I start next week. I am five months out and still experience pain all day and night. I am still taking pain medicine every four hours. I hope the water therapy will help with that. The doctor said it may take up to a year to have less pain. Yikes. That is a long time.

Have fun in the water.

Joan

Comment

when I was teen, I was always told swimming was the best for my scoliosis-mainly the strokes that use both sides of the body, breast, frontcrawl, elementary backstroke... I was a swim teacher & life guard back then...unforunately, all that swimming did'nt stop my curves..
                            on my upcoming trip, I'm sure I'll be on the sand more than in the surf but will be curious to see how I float...I'm so stiff still, it may help me stay straight & up. Just looking forward to a nice swim suit & not worrying about my crooked back all the time...that will be nice...........Ly

Comment

Actually, since my surgery 8 years ago, I have found it a LOT easier to swim. Your rods are very, very light weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X