left thoracic curve progressing quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left thoracic curve progressing quickly

Does anyone have an adolescent with a left thoracic curve? My daughter's curve is progressing quickly - went 6 degrees in 4 months and we can see a change even since her last visit a few weeks ago. She had an MRI after her first visit because of the left thoracic curve. In reading and learning more and more about scoliosis, I am seeing that a left thoracic curve that progresses this quickly is abnormal (2-3%) and almost always indicates an underlying problem. Do you think I need to be concerned about the MRI and if it was read correctly? Or maybe, being a mother I am overreacting. If you have an adolescent with what has been diagnosed as idiopathic scoliosis with the curve to the left, I would love to hear from you. thank you.

Just for your own peace of mind I would have someone else read the MRI.
    My son does not have a left curve but his curve is increasing at a very high rate as well, 21 degrees in 6 months and still progressing. Don't forget that there is a certain amount of inaccuracy in measuring the curves, I have heard that there can be a 5 degree error in measurement.
    No I don't think you are overreacting. I almost flipped when the first referal we got to an ortho gave us a wait time of ten months just for an assessment and my sons thoracic curve was already 58 degrees. Our family doctor then found someone that would see us in 4 months time slightly better but still hard when you think maybe he should be in a brace now instead of 4 months from now. Turns out his curves were too large for bracing anyways. ANd now I know that scoliosis is generally never an emergency.
    Have you gotten second opinions? If not I would definately get at least one. WHat are your daughters curves now? How long before they see here again?
    Sorry I can't help you with the left curve issue.
    wishing you good luck
    mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
    diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
    also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
    fused T4 to L1

Comment

to: Scoliboymom

Thanks for your reply. My daughter's curve is relatively minor, 28 degrees at first appointment with orthopedist, but progressed to 34-1/2 degrees by 4 mos. later. She is only 11 years old, risser 0. She was in to see the orthopedist again 3 weeks ago and even since then we can see a slight change in her curve. She is not scheduled to go back to see him until September. We are battling with this whole thing and are making it through (and honestly I wasn't really even thinking about the left curve thing much lately) but stumbled across some articles on the internet that specify how rare the left curve is. I suppose I should just pick up the phone and call the doctor and ask! I appreciate your reply.

Comment

I would suggest a second opinion just to be on the safe side.

What concerns me is waiting 6 months for a follow up visit, if her scoliosis has progressed in 4 months you may want for her to be followed up a bit more closely. Alot can happen in 6 months.

My daughter gets follow up visits every 3 months.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Amanda
        Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
        Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
        Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
        Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
        26 Degree Post Op Curve
        Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
        Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
        YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Both my curves are in the high 40's and I've chosen to have the surgery, My back has been going out 1-2 degree's a year.

But i've had to wait 3 or so months between appointments
          2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

I have a lower left thoracic curve, my degrees are in my signiture.

L thoracic scoliosis is associated with an underlying condition in about 30% of the cases.

My scolisis is related to a neurological genetic disorder - neurofibromatosis type 1. My T10 and T11 veterbre are wedged.
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31
            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Left Thoracic curve

My daughter also has a left thoracic curve. SHe has had a lot of problems with pain. Her MRI also showed nothing significant. It was before the surgery she had last year. I would like to get it and have it read again as she is now having even more pain than she had before surgery. I am interested in what you have found out. Please e-mail me if you see this post.

Comment

Hi tkrame01,

Did you get your second opinion? You should have a copy of the MRI itself. Bring it with you wherever you go. My daughter has a left thoracic curve too. She is 9 years old and currently at 26 degrees. Sometimes a progression in curve can happen when there is a big growth spurt. This has been said to me repeatedly by other docs. and other experienced moms. This is what the docs believe will happen to my daughter when she hits a growth spurt. With 7 years of growing left to do, I imagine she would end up with quite a curve. Has your daughter grown a lot in the last 6 months or so. I brought Michela to 4 different doctors, 3 of which looked at the MRI films for themselves even though I had given them an interpretation by the radiologist that said all was fine. It made me feel better knowing that a few different docs thought the MRI was negative.
                Last edited by stephanieC; 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM.
                Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
                10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
                07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
                12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
                2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
                3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Working...
                X