View Full Version : What to expect after Surgery??

03-26-2007, 09:02 PM
What happens after sugery. I'm due to have surgery later this year.

What happens after surgery? I've been doing some research and it hasnt helped me at all.

If anyone out there has had Scoliosis surgery would you be able to tell me what happens AFTER surgery.

I was never told



03-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi Jacinta,

What happens after surgery is you begin a new life straighter, with a waist on both sides and for quite a few people, taller. A lot of people end up with reduced pain or none at all. You can read back quite a bit and see how everyone tells how they went through recovery and as the months pass how they reach their milestones. Your research here will answer MANY questions and some you might not even think to ask. Read, read, read and you will learn a lot from everyone here. Everyone has been in your shoes, looking for information. You have hit the jackpot finding this forum. At least I felt I sure did when I first logged on here. Best wishes.

03-27-2007, 02:33 AM
I have to agree with reading back a lot of the older posts, when you can find the time. There is a lot of valuable information there!!!

But never hesitate to ask question or express any concerns or fears, because someone will always answer!!! That's why we're here!!!


03-28-2007, 06:00 AM
After surgery, it will take some time to get used to bending in different ways. Practice the log-roll method of getting out of bed now so it will be easier after surgery. My daughter had long hair and we cut it to shoulder length to make showers easier after surgery (less weight pulling her head back), also have someone nearby for the first few showers because you may get dizzy from the pain medicine. If you drive, wait until your doctor says its okay to drive again, then practice some place without cars around before going out into traffic. Within a month, you won't even realize that you do some things different after surgery. ;)

03-28-2007, 11:26 AM

I have to agree with the others, you ARE at the right spot.

I am 26 weeks post-op now and I'm doing great. It's been a long road, but with the support structure I had at home, my recovery has gone really well.

The first day or so after surgery, I remember nothing. Well, almost nothing. I remember anxiously waiting for the minutes to pass to self administer more morphine into my system. 6 minutes seemed like forever...I think on day two or three they switched me to dilotud drip. This seemed to relieve some of the itchyness that that morphine caused. Also on day three they removed the cathater and all IV drugs - started on the pills. Saturday (day two) I was fitted for my brace. Ah...this was nice - something warm around my body...On Sunday, they brought me the brace and the hospital staff helped me into it. That same day, they made me get up and walk. I didn't go far, but I walked nonetheless.

The next few days in the hospital were really uneventful - lots of trial and error with the drugs - and walking with the physical therapy people. Oh, they nurses got me in the shower too - that was an interesting experience - all privacy - GONE!! Oh well, I can't say that I really cared at that point. Anyway, occupational therapy also came to show me how to put on socks and pick things up with the grabber. Love that thing!! The drs. came in every morning to check up on me.

They sent me home on Wednesday, 5 days post-op. I was feeling pretty good by then. Walking like a statue with the brace and all. For the next 7 weeks, I stayed home. My family took care of me around the clock - medicine, turning me, etc... I could not turn in bed on my own, so they had a towel under my torso and pulled in either direction to flip me to one side or another. At this point, I had rented a hospital bed, so I was living in the family room. Also, everyday, I was forced to walk a mile (not all at once). I was still taking a lot of medicine. Darvocet, then Percoset with Valium. I didn't shower on my own for quite a while. I would get dizzy with the hot water, or I couldn't reach my legs and feet. My alternative plan would be to either get up with my husband and shower with him or wait for my mother to come over in the morning to help me.

Around 8 weeks post-op, I ventured back to work - only part time. I initially thought that I could do this for 4 hours at a time. No such luck - the stress made my back musles pretty tight. Anyway, I worked through that slowly increasing my hours over the next month and returned full time in January.

I'm in and out of the brace now - mostly out at home, but I get sore sitting at my desk all day, so I wear it. Anyway, I've done a little driving without the brace (yeah, I'm being daring), but hey I felt ok. I still have weight restrictions - not allowed to lift anything more than 5 lbs.

Wow! This turned out to be longer than I had planned. I hope that you find this information useful. One thing that I would want to tell you is don't worry about how long it takes to get off the prescription meds. I took almost 5 months - we all heal at different paces. AND, most importantly, stay ahead of the pain. Even when you start feeling good, keep taking the meds! You may stretch it out an hour past the "due" time, but still take it.

If you want to talk more, just sent me a Private Message - or re-post here. I'm here often enough.

Good luck to you and all others heading this way!

Fused from T4-L4 September 22, 2006.

03-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi Nickie,

Thank you so much for posting. I'm having surgery in June and any information is so helpful. It's great hearing from people who've gone through surgery and have made it through all the struggles with a great outcome! Congrats on coming as far as you have, and thanks alot for the info :) I hope I will be doing as well as you when I'm 26 weeks post op!


03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I've been reading over stuff on the net and that didnt help at all. My mum told me that'll have drips and all that from the surgery.

its the first time i've actaully having anything major done to me.

I go back to the doctors in a couple of months to find out whats happening. Its only just starting to sink in on how real this is after getting a letter about 2 months ago saying i've been put on a waiting list for 2 opeeration (due to me having 2 curves).

I'm trying to get a few things in and done before i have the surgery cos i know there'll be things that i can do.

If anyone has any links to site in australia please let me know by a private message.

Once again, thanks for your help.


03-29-2007, 12:17 AM
I go back to the doctors in a couple of months to find out whats happening. Its only just starting to sink in on how real this is after getting a letter about 2 months ago saying i've been put on a waiting list for 2 opeeration (due to me having 2 curves).



I'm also seeing your Dr which is Dr Turner. I'm just wondering why you have been put on a waiting list? As im getting surgery done by him this May i just put in a date while i saw him in Feb.

You might be getting it done at a different hospital but from my understanding there was no waiting list for me. I'm also getting to operations done on the same day.


04-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi Cina and Leelee, please see my posting on the other thread Dr Peter Turner.