Advice Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Again

Hi Guys I have just been to the hospital well on wednesday and my scoliosis has got worse it is know 70 and curves to the left just below my shoulder blades and I have pain in hip and ribs and top of back, and yet noone will do anything still they say they are going to watch it again for another 6 months and if it carries on getting worse then they might do something, is there anything I can do to ease the pain a bit, I cant take painkillers all the time cause of another illness I have.....
    I just want the pain to stop.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Swimming?

Hi Angela- so sorry to hear about your progression! ouch, not good.

My curves are more or less stable, but I have a lot of pain too. I'm considering taking swimming lessons, or at least, start doing laps in public pool using a kickboard. I've read on this site that swimming helps some people lessen their back pain- by strengthening the back muscles. Physical therapy- have you tried PT? Ask your doctor to prescribe PT, I went to PT for a few weeks. I think it helped, it hurt when I was exercising, but afterwards I felt like I had more energy, and less pain. Hope this helps.

I also use ibuprofen and narcotics, when the pain is really bad. Has yoru doctor prescribed any meds for you? Oh- I also lay on the floor withmy feet bent at the knees, resting on a chair. God bless- hope your pain lessens.
    Jamie
    57 years old.
    thoracic curve 68 degrees
    lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Hi thank you no my doctor hasnt given me any meds, but then it is cheaper to buy, pain killers over the counter. I am having physio (or i will be when they finally contact me), if it carries on getting worse then i will have surgery, they think it is worse cause of a bike crash that I was in 2 years ago, but not to sure, i will try lying on the floor like you said until I hear from the physio.

Thank you again.

Angela
      Angela, 25 England.
      May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Angela , here's my advice ..

Hi , Angela ,

I have a double major curve since my early teens .And I've been feeling horrible

for so many years , so uncomfortable in my body , so ugly..I tried to do the exercises ,that doctors prescribed ,but they were so boring .

What changed my life was that I started training. I started jogging and after jogging I did fitness. Then , I got involved in many activities like aerobics , exercises at home , streching..... Basically I woke up my sad and sleepy body...And now I just feel my body , every muscle , its contours ,my movements....and I have much better control over it

My point is , I want to tell this to everybody here ,who are just watching their curves getting worse - keep moving ! Of course that you are going to have your curves worsen , if you leave your body in peace..... Even if you did not have scoliosis , if you are not physically active , your body will suffer... And people who have scoliosis simply can't afford not to do some sport

It is essential to find the physical activity that brings you pleasure and at the end ,give you the feeling of strenght in your body.

It makes me so sad whane I read that so many women here are considering surgery without even trying something different... That's really sad
        Last edited by escapelina; 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Hi I dont really want surgery, but like you say execise helps and it did up until the age of 11 but i was born with quite a bad illness, and it played up a lot but worse when I was 11 and I had to have surgery, a very long op and ever since then I have had trouble execising cause of the pain in my stomach, I went back hospital every year after the op, and they wouldnt even let me do any execise at school, they said the pain will always be there and I will always have trouble with execise cause of pain, I am waiting to hear from physio, they are going to try and find something that I can do that doesnt play my back or my stomach up.
          On the plus side with my stomach I cant put weight on the skin is to tight.
          I cant remember what it is called it has a weird name.

Thanks for the advice.
          Angela
          Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Sorry

I am sorry that your condition is so complicated .. you didn't mention anything about your stomach , so I thought that the problem is only in your spine curvature. I hope that you get better soon and that it is not that serious.

Comment

Thanks, I am still waiting to hear from physio has been 2-3 weeks know so might ring them up if I dont hear within the next week or two....
              Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Betall , please tell me more..

.. about this method . I myself do this very often at home , I push my back against the floor and try to adjust it . But it is not easy and I am not sure that I am doing it the right way.....

The shortened trunk is the thing I hate most about scoliosis . I am tall , but my trunk is not like this of tall girls ,because it's shortened . I looked at the links you posted but I didn't find anything concrete.. Does anyone practice this method ?

Could you share more about your personal experience?

Comment

Originally posted by escapelina
                  .. about this method . I myself do this very often at home , I push my back against the floor and try to adjust it . But it is not easy and I am not sure that I am doing it the right way.....

The shortened trunk is the thing I hate most about scoliosis . I am tall , but my trunk is not like this of tall girls ,because it's shortened . I looked at the links you posted but I didn't find anything concrete.. Does anyone practice this method ?

Could you share more about your personal experience?
                  Hi Escapelina :

Yes , I practice the Schroth method every day , twice a day .
                  Before getting out of bed , bend your knees as much as you can wigle your spine , starting by your tail bone up to the back of the head 1/4 of an inch on each side of the spine for a few minutes . During the day get taller by the minute you feel like sinking. Be Tall .

Comment

Hey, Fellow Brit here, really sorry to hear about all your probs.
                    I've was diagnosed when i was 14, so 12 yrs ago. Its caused me no end pain and other probs linked to my legs and shoulder but they refuse surgery because as my doctor put it 'you don't look deformed and aren't crippled yet!'
                    NICE!
                    Anyway,i realised recently that if i wanted to stay that way then i was the only one who could do it. i've started yoga, swimming, aqua aerobics (really good) and stability ball exercises. This on top or regular physio and accupuncture (which i do pay for as NHS, as good as they are, don't provide the intensive and continous treatment needed). I am now starting to feel like i have some control over my condition instead of some doctor telling me things.
                    Wish you all the luck with your health.

Comment

Originally posted by adelonty
                      Hey, Fellow Brit here, really sorry to hear about all your probs.
                      I've was diagnosed when i was 14, so 12 yrs ago. Its caused me no end pain and other probs linked to my legs and shoulder but they refuse surgery because as my doctor put it 'you don't look deformed and aren't crippled yet!'
                      NICE!
                      Anyway,i realised recently that if i wanted to stay that way then i was the only one who could do it. i've started yoga, swimming, aqua aerobics (really good) and stability ball exercises. This on top or regular physio and accupuncture (which i do pay for as NHS, as good as they are, don't provide the intensive and continous treatment needed). I am now starting to feel like i have some control over my condition instead of some doctor telling me things.
                      Wish you all the luck with your health.
                      hi dear.
                      you talked about exercise ball ...
                      do u know any exercise which I can do ...?
                      please tell me how I can do exercise with the ball. thank you
                      22 years old - girl - 40 degree curve - to the left - no surgery yet

Comment

Hi,
                        I started with just sitting on the ball concentrating on my breathing and posture. I actually use it instead of a chair sometimes as it forces you to sit well.
                        By lying on your stomach on the ball and streching out one leg and the opposite arm it lengthens your spine and strengthens muscles round it as you are forced to stabilise yourself on the ball without falling off it!
                        I've also tried sitting on the ball and using weights and lifting arms, again i think its the sitting properly, not being able to slouch and focusing on posture that helps.
                        I was told that using it to do push ups (ball under thighs) would help but i have a bad shoulder so not keen on this one.
                        Hope this is of help,
                        all the best
                        x

Comment

thank you very much ...
                          iy helped me very much any other exercise which I can do without brace?
                          because I dont use brace for about 2 years as Dr told to me .
                          here is about me and my problem :
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5664
                          22 years old - girl - 40 degree curve - to the left - no surgery yet

Comment

I have swayback and scoliosis; I am rediscovering my bicycle: it keeps my entire back rounded and therefore pain free. As others have said, you need to keep your joints moving as much as possible when not in a brace. I do yoga every day (forward bends, etc), if I don't my spine feels much stiffer.

When you move your joints carefully, you pump nutrients into them and keep them as healthy as possible. If not, they will stiffen and you lose flexibility.

Comment

Working...
                            X