How soon can you talk on the phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How soon can you talk on the phone?

My daughter keeps asking me how soon after surgery I'll be able to talk to her on the phone. She's anxious about the surgery and really fixated on this. Anyone remember how soon they were coherent enough to have a phone conversation?

Thanks,
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I made my first phone call about a week after my surgery. I was in intensive care for the first two days and just too tired the rest of the time. The hospital I was in had a payphone for each bed which was such a lifeline. My family could also call me on it. Just make sure that a nurse puts it with reach for you.
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and I think by that Saturday or Sunday I was making some calls, just to family. I had a phone card and remember I had to dial lots of numbers before the actual phone number. Apparently I did sound a bit drugged up, even though from my perspective, I thought I was totally "with it." My husband saved a message I had left on the answering machine and I sounded pretty out of it. My husband and sister told me that I repeated lots of stuff over and over...not very coherent, according to them, but again, I thought at the time I sounded very coherent.
      Heather
      Surgery date: April 20, 2004
      Anterior/posterior surgery
      Fused T-11 to L-5
      Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
      Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
      Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
      Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I was allowed to use a cell phone in my room on the floor post op. I think after my first surgery I started making calls about 2 or 3 days out of surgery. With my 3rd surgery I was on the phone the day after. She may not be able to talk for long because the meds make you really tired, but she should be able to talk for a little bit just to say hi, and update you (if you are not there) or a friend or two.
        Good luck to your daughter with her surgery.
        Mandy

Comment

I talked to my son the day in between my surgeries. they were 2 days apart but I don't really remember. I was talking on the phone the day after but I think I was able to actually make a call by myself 2 or 3 days after the 2nd surgery.
          Warning, these conversations that you have will be made fun of at a later date. Just kidding!
          surgery 9/06
          Rothman institute

Comment

Oh, that is SoooooooooTrue!!!!!! I apparently called the school library where I work to talk with my co-worker the day after my first day of surgery. She said I didn't make any sense at all but I said I was great! I have hardly any memory of the first 10 days in the hospital!!!!
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Oh yea!!!! Even with visitors.....LOL...becareful what u say cause it haunts you later.....I'll always remember my bother-in law laughing at me when i spoke..it was the next day....It kind of made me sad...and mad ..but whatever he's a jerk anyway.....
              CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
              fused T4 -L3
              Hip graft
              Grown 1 1/2 inches
              25/o upper T 15/o
              53/o T 15/o
              37/o L 6/o
              Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
              New York City

August 6, 2004
              Pulmonary Embolism
              complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
              increasing pain at the T4/5
              point irratation heardwear

Comment

lol, yeah, that happened to me too. Apparently whilst I was in intensive care I had to have a further 2 transfusions and I was telling everyone that they had just taken the blood out and put it back again. I have absolutely no memory of that whatsoever hehe.
                Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
                Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
                Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
                Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
                No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
                Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

I talked on the phone the day after my surgery, but I don't remember the conversation at all...

Comment

I was lucky and had a phone attached right onto my hospital bed, and I really appreciated the calls from my family and friends. I guess it was about the fifth day when I started talking with them. Those calls kept me going.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I'll tell my daughter it will be probably 3 or 4 days before I'll be awake enough to call her.

I already warned my husband not to take anything I say seriously while under the influence of morphine...
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Apparently I took a phone call about an hour after waking up and more after that. I do not recall them at all. The first call I actually remember making was about the 4th day. Everyone thought my phone calls immediately post op were hilarious but I have no recollection. In fact I can't really remember anything for about 4 days. This is a blessing I keep getting told by my family who hated seeing me that way.
                        Katie

Comment

I called my sister on post op day 5 (different surgery, but similar anaesthetic), and all my visitors said that I talked a mile a minute when they saw me! I don't even remember half of their visits!!! And apparantly when I woke up in ICU I kept telling everyone every minute or so the joke my anesthesiologist told me before falling asleep lol. They call all still recite the jokes! Oops!
                          Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

Its getting me a little worried

I havent had my operation yet and its making me a little worried on what i'll say to people. I can kinda upset people with what i say. Hope i dont insult people with what i say
                            2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Chris,
                              I had my surgery at HSS and I had my cell phone in my bed with me!!! I think I talked on the phone the morning after surgery. Of course, I didn't sound like myself and didn't have a lot of energy, but for the people who weren't there with me it was comforting to hear my voice and know that I was ok.
                              Also, over time I sounded better and better on the phone as I got more energy and that was also great for them to hear.
                              So, although I can't promise you'll remember it, you can talk on the phone as soon as you're out of PACU in your own room.
                              Lesly

Comment

Working...
                              X