Just had surgury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had surgury

Hi, I'm a 48 year old female who just had a spinal fusion from T2 to the saccrum. My thorasic curve measured 79 and the lumbar was 44. I had the anterior surgury done on April 8 and the Posterior one done on April 12. I was released from the hospital April 20. I'm sure someone can answer my questions. Does it seem like parts of your body are waking up (anthersia, nerves, etc) at different times. One day I feel pretty good, then a couple days later it seems like another part of my body is bothering me. My doctor told me to take it easy and just do little bits at a time. At 3 weeks out of the hospital with this type of surgury what are most people doing? I am now showering by myself (sitting down), getting up and getting cereal and toast for breakfast, getting in and out of bed and chairs by myself, taking short walks around the house with my walker and if I fill really good that day some walking with a cane. I would like to hear how other people are prgressing. Thanks
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Dear Theresa,
    Thank you for your post....I have not had surgery yet, but my fusion surgery sounds like yours ..maybe up to L5 ...why were U fused to the sacum? It is refreshing to here how some people recover after surgery...to me you sound great...It looks like your right on target...I have had other surgeries and when the doctor says 6 to 8 weeks they are right...I'm sure your doctor must have told you up to 3 months and sometimes up to a year to really feel like yourself again...
    Are you driving yet? Are you in much pain?
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Comment

fusion

Connie, They had to go to the saccrum because my L4 was a little deformed. When they went to L 3 & 2 they were in worse shape. They put a plate in by the saccrum to fuse to. They said fusing to the saccrum doesn't always take completely so that's why they put in the plate. I'm not driving yet and don't expect to for awhile. Keep in touch.
      Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa,

It sounds like you are doing wonderful so far. When I had my surgery it was difficult moving and walking too. Part of it is your body/brain getting used to being in a different position. Recovering from surgery usually means having both good and bad days. After my surgery I'd have side pains of and on for quite a while. Now I know that it was because I didn't do my exercises! Don't worry so much abot being "on schedule" you are doing just fine.

Comment

exercises

MaryK, What kind of exercises were you given?
          Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Dear Theresa,
            Thank you for your post. I have been hoping to hear from someone near my age who has had a staged surgery. I am going to be 50 in June and I'm having anerior/posterior surgery on June 21st, 24th and 28th. My corrective surgery will take three surgeries. I will be fused from T4-S1. I will probably be in the hospital about two weeks. You sound like you're doing great. Are there any things you would do differently? What was your hospital experience like? Did you have any family member spend the night in your hospital room to help you? Anything you can think of to tell me about would be appreciated. Thanks!
            Susan

Comment

Dear Susan,

We all seem to be in the same boat as Theresa, and we are very glad she can help us thru what she is already experiencing....I plan to get a private nurse in the hospital...what ever the cost will be I feel and so does my doctor that this can be the best investment..I plan on getting a hospital bed for home...my insurence carrier allows nurse visits and PT visits, I plan on using that service.....A toliet seat raiser and meals planned.....

My only drawback is major fear...no matter how convinced my surgeron is good , I just don't trust my body to behave accordingly....so with that I'll close my eyes and let god do the rest...
              CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
              fused T4 -L3
              Hip graft
              Grown 1 1/2 inches
              25/o upper T 15/o
              53/o T 15/o
              37/o L 6/o
              Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
              New York City

August 6, 2004
              Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

Hospital stay

Dear Susan,
                My hospital stay was also 2 weeks. My husband or my daughter stayed with me overnight and most of the day. My surgury was 2 procedures done on one day, so that was a 14 hour day. Then the following Monday was when the rods were inserted and some other things were done, that was an 8 hour day. You won't remember much of your hospital stay. In between the 2 surguries you are kept pretty sedated because you're spine isn't stable. My family told me that I talked to them constantly and kept asking questions over and over but I don't remember any of it. The thing that I was really worried about was the ventilator still being in when I woke up, they said that I did so well with the surguries they were able to take it out before I woke up. The chest tube you don't even feel, even when they took it out! I had staples along the rib area where they did the anterior procedure and they were taken out a few days before I went home,. guess what? They didn't hurt either. I had steri strips down in the belly area where they had to go in to put the instrumentation for the fusion to the sacrum, they come off by themselves. The hip area where the bone graft was from had self dissolving stitches. The big back incision had regular stitches taken out in the doctor's office. The worst pain was from the hip area where the bone graft was done. The rest is more strong aches that actual pain. It seems to me that your body wakes up in different stages. One place will hurt for a few days, you wake up and it's gone but something new has started. I had the first surgure April 8th and I still have quite a few numb areas on my back. Slowly the feeling is coming back. Make sure you have a very good dry skin cream! I have never had a problem with dry skin now it's very dry and flakey. I requested a private room for the hospital. It was very nice to just pull over the potty chair to the bed when you had to go to the bathroom. I have a raised potty, shower seat, walker and a wheelchair for home, I will get back with you later and let you know more. Theresa
                Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Dear Theresa,

You sound like you're doing exceptionally well! Were you fused clear down to S1? I had the surgery done two years ago at age 56. I was fused from T11 to S1. I had 12 straight hours of surgery, and everything was done at the same time... Anterior and posterior. Bone was taken from my left hip. (You should see the funny indentation on my hip bone! Yuck!) ~ Anyway, even though it has been 2 years for me, I still suffer from very strong and intense feelings of pressure and compression in the entire lumbar area. It almost feels like a little creature is down there deep inside "squeezing" the heck out of me. After several hours of activity, I still have to run to my bed and lie down to relieve that awful pressure that turns into outright pain. It's rather depressing. My surgeon (in St. Louis) told me it would take "at least" two years before I'm really healed, which is a clear indication that it will probably take even longer than that! Ugh! My curvature wasn't even as severe as yours... Mine was 58 degrees above and 53 degrees below. Perhaps I've made a mistake in allowing everything to be completed all in the same day. Other folks in this forum mention having certain procedures done at different times. All I know is that sometimes I wish I'd never had the surgery. I take one day at a time and try my best to push forward. Thank you for sharing...

Irene
                  ~ Irene ~
                  Lumbosacral Scoliosis: Corrective surgery (12 hours anterior and posterior) on June 19, 2002 at age 56; Surgeon: Lawrence G. Lenke; Hospital: Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri; Pre-Op 58/56 degrees "S" curve; Post-Op: 40/33 degrees; Fusion: T-11 to S1

Comment

Theresa,
                    Thank you for responding so quickly and giving me all that info. I sure appreciate it. I have thought of a few more questions if you don't mind. How much weight did you loose? The reason I ask is that my surgeon is a little concerned about my weight. I usually weigh 110 #'s but I have managed to gain 2 #'s over the past few weeks. I have six weeks left and I don't know how much more I can gain before my surgery. Did you get an ileus? Ihope you didn't but in case you don't know what it is; it's an obstruction of the bowel that causes distension and pain in the abdomen and is common after scoli surgery. I don't think there is much I can do to prevent it but I thought I'd do an enema the night before my surgery. How soon did you get up out of bed while in the hospital? My surgeon said he will want me up asap even after the first surgery (anterior procedure) which releases the disks. He said the spine is still quite stable because of the posterior part still being intact. ???? How much walking were you able to do in the hospital? Did they have you doing any stairs? I live in a two story house with my bedroon/bathroom upstairs. We only have a half bath downstairs where I will be in a hospital bed for a few weeks. I hope to be able to climb the stairs fairly soon after coming home so I can take a "real" shower.
                    Hope you are feeling better each day. God bless.
                    Susan

Comment

surgery

I had anterior/posterior revision surgery for an 80 deg thoracic curve 20 months ago at age 60. I am back at work and have minimal discomfort-usually related to weather. It was T-4 to sacrum (S-1). My ribs(hump reduction) were used for bone graft.

My experience: It was done in 2 stages a week apart.
                      It did take a long time for various areas to heal, wake up and get stronger.
                      I was glad I had private duty nurses around the clock once I was out of the step down unit. I did not have to call the floor nurse,who could possibly be occupied with other patients, for pain meds.
                      I spent 2 weeks in a rehab hospital; there I got excellent pain control and help to be independent at home.
                      I did not get a hospital bed. I slept in my own bed at night but used a walker to walk at night to the bathroom. I put a plastic chair in the shower and just sat there gloriously for a long time.
                      I had someone helping me at home the first month home. I needed to lay down often but I also hed someone take me to PT and out to walk. I was walking a mile the second month after surgery.
                      I will be happy to answer any particulars by e-mail.
                      Karen
                      Last edited by Karen Ocker; 05-13-2004, 08:05 AM.
                      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I am so grateful for all this insight. I am 40 and, although my curves are worsening, my pain is not yet so severe that I feel it warrents surgery. I am, however, not ruling it out. I expect that in a few years, I'll be seriously considering it. I'd also most-likely need fusion to the sacrum with an A/P procedure so I'm finding these stories extremely helpful.

May I ask all of you - (except Karen who already graciously shared her insights with me- thanks Karen) - how bad was your pain when you made the decision? My pain is constant but it varies from very aggravating to just a nagging sensation I'm completely used to. I require non-prescription pain killers on average once a month. THe only activity I've curtailed is running and other high impact exercise. Otherwise, I do everything I want.

One more question for those fused to the sacrum, can you garden?
                        Thanks, Nora

Comment

Nora,
                          I'd like to answer the question about pain......let's see...when you can't stand or sit longer than 15 minutes...when the pain meds you take 4 X a day doesn't seem to help...when you wake up in the morning and feel pain and stiffness and walk a little crooked....when all you have to say is "MY BACK HURTS" every other sentance...it's time for surgery.....Also when you drive and always put on the heated seats for comfort...when the sports you love have to stop because of pain.
                          I feel I can't wait any longer...I'm 45 with a progressive curve of 53...
                          connie
                          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                          fused T4 -L3
                          Hip graft
                          Grown 1 1/2 inches
                          25/o upper T 15/o
                          53/o T 15/o
                          37/o L 6/o
                          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                          New York City

August 6, 2004
                          Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

Theresa, you asked about my excercises. They ones I was given to do I still haven't figured out, and the surgery was 15 yrs ago! I was to do crunches and later sit ups and there was one where you lay on your stomache and arch up. To this day I can't do those at all! The others were squats against the wall and easy excercises laying down to strengthen my legs, gluts etc. No matter how many times I read the book discribing the excercises for the lower back and abs I can't see how a fused back is supposed to do them! I've heard there are newer excercises for the back called pilates that work much better.

Comment

Susan, Sorry it's taken me a while to answer back. The last couple of weeks have been pretty hard. My daughter graduated from law school and the next day moved to Denver to take her classes for her bar review. I had also started cutting back on my meds, (bad timing I think) Went back on my regular meds til I get used to her being gone and my son coming home for the summer. About the weight loss, so far I've lost about 10 pounds. Your body uses so much energy trying to heal itself. The reason I couldn't get up in between procedures was becasue they had finished the anterior portion of the surgery around 11 am and was proceding on with the posterior portion (which was all planned). They ran into a couple of problems, I have an extra vertebra down in the sacrum area that didn't show up on any x-rays or MRI's. The doctor's had to go back a couple of times to make sure that everything was matched up right. They also had problems getting the rod to form for my curve in the lumbar area and so they ended up stopping and finishing up a few days later after getting a different type of rod that has more flexiblity in it. I had to have 7 pints of blood due to the extensive amount of work that they did. I do go up stairs at home, not very often though. Use a cane and the railing and take one step at a time. My bedroom is downstairs. I did have a little problem with the ilus but everything is okay now. Theresa
                              Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                              X