Mri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mri

I had my MRI today because of tingling and numbness in my arms, fingers, legs and feet. Hopefully it is just some type of pinched nerve. The woman was not very kind because I was having trouble keeping still and once I even started coughing. She had to re-do some parts. I don't know how kids do it without being put under.

Does anyone know if the person who performs it can see anything in it or does someone else read it? She asked me if I ever get headaches or dizziness and I thought it was strange she asked me after it was over. She made up some excuse about needing to write it on my paperwork.

What do you all think? I will know the results tomorrow afternoon.

Sorry this has nothing to do with scoli.

Oh, Nicole turns 13 tomorrow on the first official day of Spring!!!
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Due to the Chiari, my daughter has had 4 MRI's. She has had to be sedated for all of them. On the most recent we did try to do it without med's, unfortunately we ended up having to have her sedated.

The person who takes the pictures is usually not the one who reads them. They are fed through to another part of the hospital, where a radiologist reads them. If they need more pictures of a specific area, or if they need to look at something that is not on the MRI, the radiologist will instruct the technician to take more images. The tech can see the images, I'm not sure how "qualified" they are to read them. They are instructed not to tell the patient (or patient's parents) anything. Further, our first orthopedic was adamant against us leaving the hospital without copies of the xray films (at that time they weren't done on cd's). He wanted to read the films himself.
    Even after he got the results by phone, he wanted to see the films.

Of the four MRI's she has done, in two of them, the tech was instructed to get more images. In fact in the most recent, they even added in the lumbar spine. Even though the original prescription was just for cervical and thoracic.

Good luck with the results!!
    Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
    28 degree scoliosis 9/04
    Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
    17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
    Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
    3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
    11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

melissa, happy birthday to nicole!

In the UK the person doing the scan would certainly not read it and itwould certainly be seen as very unprofessional to say anyting suggesting that he/she "would have seen something". I think these were just routine "tickbox" questions she had to complete somewhere. still, fingers crossed for a normal result, hope you are not too worried, let us know asap

Comment

Melissa,

David had a few MRI's and my husband has had several over the years for his bad back. I agree with Gerbo that these were probably routine questions you were asked and not indicative of anything. Let us know when you get the official results. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO NICOLE!!!!!!!
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thanks all for all of your well wishes for me and Nicole. My friend said her tech asked her that as well. So I guess it is routine. My tech was really annoyed at me because she had to do parts over again. I can't help it if I had to cough. I went to a very open one so at least I didn't feel like I was in a tunnel. We get the results back today. Hopefully I have pinched nerves.
          Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

annoyed with you because of you coughing???; that woman certainly has a problem. Whatever next; doctors annoyed because of you being ill, teachers annoyed because of a lack of knowledge, chiropracters annoyed with bones being out of place, etc etc, what's the world coming to....???

Comment

Let us know how your MRI turns out. I had a CT scan when I fell and they asked me the same about headacheds and dizziness and everything was fine with me so its probably just routine.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO NICOLE!

Amanda
              Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
              Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
              Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
              Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
              Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
              26 Degree Post Op Curve
              Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
              Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
              YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

Everything came back normal. I guess I can go back to concentrating my worrying on Nicole, lol!!!!

Gerbo, when I started coughing, I messed up the MRI because you have to be so still. Sometimes if I am on my back like that I start to cough. It is so difficult to be still for a half hour. All you can think about is how much you want to move. Anyway, I think this young tech should pick another profession. Something where she does not need patience and tolerance. I would make a joke right here, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Anyway, enjoy your first day of spring, everyone.
                Gerbo, do you watch American Idol? I am assuming you get it. It was all about the invasion of British music last night. I know you are not British, but thought I would add that.
                Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I'm relieved to hear all was normal.

Amanda
                  Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                  26 Degree Post Op Curve

Comment

Amanda,

I will send you an e-mail, but I have to publicly thank you and tell everyone here what an amazingly sweet and generous person you are.

Amanda has just sent Nicole a gorgeous vase with beautiful flowers for her birthday. She hasn't seen them yet because she is still at dance.

Amanda, you are too kind. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your thoughtfulness. I have met some amazing people on this forum. It is really unreal. All the way from Texas, you have brought a lot of joy to this special day. Thank you.

I will send you an e-mail tonight.
                    Melissa

Comment

Amanda,

That was sooo sweet!! Kind of makes me wish I did something like that It's people like you that go that extra mile and this makes all the difference in the world and makes it such a great place.

Last edited by Celia; 03-21-2007, 10:12 PM.

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

melissa, great to hear that mri was normal, maybe that helps you to relax a bit.

What would be the difference between typical american and typical english popmusic?

best wishes

gerbo

Comment

They were talking about the invasion of the Beetles, the Kinks, the Stones, etc. on our culture. We haven't been the same ever since!!!!!
                          Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                            Amanda,

I will send you an e-mail, but I have to publicly thank you and tell everyone here what an amazingly sweet and generous person you are.

Amanda has just sent Nicole a gorgeous vase with beautiful flowers for her birthday. She hasn't seen them yet because she is still at dance.

Amanda, you are too kind. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your thoughtfulness. I have met some amazing people on this forum. It is really unreal. All the way from Texas, you have brought a lot of joy to this special day. Thank you.

I will send you an e-mail tonight.
                            Melissa,

As you know, I have had the pleasure of meeting Amanda and her daughter, Lorena, in person - and what you say doesn't surprise me one bit. Amanda is a truly wonderful and giving person and Lorena is a very beautiful little girl.

I'm sure the flowers made Nicole's day!
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Well I've met both Maria and Melissa and they both ROCK!

You both helped our family get through a very difficult time in our lives and there is nothing I can do that will ever repay either one of you for your kindness. There are not many people who will welcome complete strangers from Texas of all places into their families with open arms like you did.

My thanks to you.

Amanda
                              Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                              26 Degree Post Op Curve

Comment

Working...
                              X