Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice

hi
    i was just wondering about putting your lives on hold for 6 months and how you do it?
    Does the recovery feel like forever or does it go quite quickly?

i am currently applying for a fellowship (should be writting it now)and in my head i'm thinking "i am going to be having the operation at the end of the year..@&*%". I am not in any real pain anymore ( so long as i swim daily) which is how i can have my mind on other tasks.I know even mentioning to my mother that i may get a fellowship and thus have to change my surgery would make her really upset (she is crying more than i ever have!).
    I feel like i have to set myself these tasks application etc otherwise i will just go mad with anxiety, this way i am focused and have other things to worry about

what did you guys do in the months leading up to surgery?

HI
    Everyone recovers at different speeds. I took 3 months off from work and then returned part time only for the first 2 weeks back. I started feeling really good around 7 months after my surgery. Leading up to my surgery I also swam took yoga classes and tried to remain fit.
    Good luck!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

hi

i am now nearly 8 months post op and on top of the world.

the first 2-3 months were probably the hardest but the more you notice how everyday you can do a little more the better it gets. to be honest the time has actually flown by now i think back.

before the op i also tried to stay as fit as pos with regular physio, gym, pilates and sessions at the hydro pool. i stopped smoking and drinking as soon as i knew i needed surgery. i dont know if this made any impact on my recovery but it did make me feel i was doing everything possible to prepare myself physically...the emotional side is a lot harder so just try to keep your mind occupied.

Comment

Hi Sai,

I've got my surgery coming up on May 28th im a smoker but i have quit smoking its been two weeks but i do have the occasional three on the weekend. By the time i go for my surgery it will be 12 wks since i've quit smoking i don't smoke from sunday - thursday thats good considering i use to smoke everyday and im doing this COLD TURKEY!!!!!

Do you think i've quit earlier enough???

Thanks... Lee
        Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

hiya Lee

i dont know is the honest truth but even if you have had 1 less cigarette than you would normally must be a good thing right!?!

dont push yourself too much cos at times believeme you, you will need that smoke lol

i wasnt a regular smoker so was easier for me to quit.

sai

Comment

I had my surgery in April of 2004 and was back at work that next September. I was told the recovery for me would be 3 months, so I had an extra month since I work in a school and didn't start work until September. Everybody has different recovery periods and experiences. Mainly the first 2 months were the most tedious. After that it got better and better. Before surgery, I did lots of pilates to help strengthen the abdominal muscles. Swimming is also great, which I think you said you already do.
            Good luck!
            Heather
            Surgery date: April 20, 2004
            Anterior/posterior surgery
            Fused T-11 to L-5
            Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
            Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
            Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
            Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I'm about 7 mos post-op now....I feel great! It seemed as soon as I hit about 61/2 mths I was'nt thking about feeling weird anymore..plus my appetite is back....
              as far as preparing for the 'rest' period, I tried to practice sitting & kind of meditating a lot since I was always the run around/never stop type-high energy & I thought I'd go nuts for 6 mos...not so..you gradually get better & the first 2 mths you don't feel like moving much anyway & it's all a challenge to do the stuff you used to with ease. I'd suggest you just try & prepare mentally & practice patience..........you'll need it! Lynne
              http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Dear Lynn,

I love the part of your post where you say "I thought I'd go nuts for 6 months....not so..." That helps me so much. I have been concerned about going crazy, stuck in my house for so long without being able to go out into the world. I'm so glad that an active person like you didn't have that experience. I have a feeling that recovery is a lot different than it seems to those of us who haven't had surgery yet and are left to our imaginations........

So thanks!

Brynn

Comment

smoking and fusion

My surgeon refuses to operate on anyone unless totally nicotine free for 6 months. Seems to be a correlation between nicotine and fusion failure. It sure isn't good for osteoporosis.
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I didn't look at it as putting my life on hold. I just sort of re-shifted things a bit to accomodate my needs. Prior to surgery I just checked things off the list, so to speak. Got my pre-surgery physical, donated blood, shopped for things I would need after surgery, etc. I took a mini-break with my husband a couple of weeks before surgery just to take my mind off of the serious stuff for a while. After surgery, I took 3 months of short-term disability leave and then returned to work. I am 10 months post-op.

Best of luck,
                    Brandi
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X