why Pulmonary funtion test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why Pulmonary funtion test?

I need some information on pulmonary function test. What are the indications for having this test prior to thoracic spinal fusion? I'm just curious because it seems a lot of people have this test done and I was expecting it for my son but the test has not been ordered by his surgeon. Should I be asking him for it? Would the result change anything about the surgery?
    mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
    diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
    also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
    fused T4 to L1

Hi...

I didn't have one, nor did most of the people I know who have had scoliosis surgery. I think it's generally done for very large thoracic curves.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

From what I've heard from other families, very young children who have scoliosis have PFTs done, but its not a routine test for a typical teenager having scoliosis surgery unless there are underlying circumstances. Does your son have shortness of breath? Does he have any indication that his pulminary function is compromised? If not, and he's medically cleared to have surgery, he won't need PFTs. My Braydon started doing PFTs at age 5. His lung function has remained stable at around 47% total lung function.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

PFTs

My daughter just had Pulmonary Function Tests to determine IF she needs surgery because her thoracic lordosis (sway back) is pushing into her chest cavity & approaching her lungs. I also have heard of patients getting PFTs prior to surgery. Each case is different so it's hard to judge by other's experiences. I would recommend you ask your son's surgeon about it, since it's on your mind.
        Martha
        Mother of Laura, Age 19
        Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
        Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
        Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
        Fused T2-L2
        Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
        Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
        Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
        OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

My daughter had one done before her surgery because of her asthma and allergies. She also had a breathing treatment right before surgery and several after.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

My son had one as part of the pre-op testing even though he has never had any breathing problems.

Renee

Comment

I didn't have one done. I have had one done recently to see if everything is okay because I now have intercoastal neuralga (sp?) due to the thorasic incision. Everything was fine.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

My daughter's Ortho ordered the PFT and echo of her heart, along with an MRI. Skylar has Kyphosis and Scoliosis...so I don't know if the Kyphosis is the deciding factor in this. Her surgery is scheduled for June 12, 2007. I think it's worth bringin up.

Comment

My daughter is having the PFT. Its standard in this doctor's office, and was explained to me as an extra precaution he takes so that he has less pulmonary and post-op pnuemonia complications. Also, they like to give the anesthesiologist more information on breathing issues and possible implications for oxygen, etc.

My daughter has asthma and has had pnuemonia 5 times, so I am happy, but the test was ordered before the doctor knew all that, because its standard for his office prior to surgery. The eight hour surgery, all that sleeping, its nice to know that she may have special needs based on her pulmonary function. She is an athlete and ambulatory, but her asthma has no wheezing and very little coughing. It took a long time to even diagnose. I am looking forward to knowing more about her lung function.

- Martha K

Comment

Working...
                  X