8 weeks post op and have encountered a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 weeks post op and have encountered a problem

I had my post op follow up with my surgeon and asked him about the bump that I have developed on my back (There are details of this in my post below, entitled "changes to bone post op").

Unfortunately it was bad news.

It turns out that the bump is the top of the rod. It seems to have moved and is protruding through the gap in my ribs on the right side of my back, which means that I have got to go back into surgery to have it corrected . He will go in posterially (sp?) this time, but will only need to make a very small inscision. He said that he may only have to "trim" the top of the rod off as it may have been too long. I felt a bit sorry for him. He seemed very embarrassed and says that this does not happen often.

I am so upset. I hated my stay in hospital and am not looking forward to going in again at all. It is such a disappointment. I had been recovering so well up until 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for listening (or reading, you know what I mean)

Karen x
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

I'm so sorry for your complication. I'm sure your hospital stay will be easier this time, even though it is very disappointing. You'll do great!

Best of luck,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Kayzyn, I am so sorry to hear of your problem. I had a simular situation happen to me. I had a screw come loose at the bottom and shoved my rod out. My Dr. took all the hardware out and then waited a few weeks and went back in and put more hardware in. Longer rods and more screws. Then this early winter I started having problems again and I have been having epidural injections and am now pain free. Crossing my fingers and hoping it stays that way. I was only in the hospital 1 day when he removed my harware but I sure didn't like the idea of having surgery again. Hope everything turns out ok.
      If you want to talk just send me a message.
      mattie

Comment

Karen,
        I am 3 months post op and can only imagine how frustrating it is to think of having another surgery- just remember this one will probably be really minor compared to the "big" one. It may not be a big deal at all. Keep us posted on how you are doing- I will be thinking of you-
        Cathie

Comment

Thank you all for your replies and kind words. I really appreciate it. You have all made me feel so much better.

I think I just have to remember to keep things in perspective. It will be minor compared to the first one and will improve my quality of life in the long run.

Thanks again, it is so reassuring to have such caring, lovely people here that know exactly what we are all going through.

Love Karen x
          Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
          Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

I am so sorry this has happened to you. I can understand your frustration. I too was just zipping along with my recovery when I fell and broke my hip. Now I have been in the hospital again, had surgery to repair it, been on a walker for 4 weeks and looking to be on one for the next 3 weeks before I can start water therapy. These little setbacks can really drag you down but we will get past this also.
            Bless you,
            Linda G.

Comment

Hi Linda,

I am sorry to hear that you hasd to go back into hospital too. I hope that you are feeling better. I hope that your recovery is a speedy one.

Love Karen x

Comment

hi just want to let you know that the second surgery will be nothing compared to the first. i just had second surgery due to a screw popping of the rod on top near my right shoulder. the second surgery was done 8 weeks after the first. i am 6 days post op and feel pretty great considering it still is surgery and i had to get all new hardware. i dont know why i needed new rods. maybe they were the wrong size. i was in horrible pain and felt the rods all the time. now i dont feel them at all now. hang in there, get it done as soon as you can. and you'll feel great. good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X