PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Curves

sccrm08
03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a question about stiff curves...When I had bending x-rays last August I was told the top curve is very stiff - no change in the degree of the curve, but the bottom curve is very flexible - goes almost straight.

My Dr. is going to do both A & P and said the Anterior would be on the bottom 3 discs. He is fusing from T-4 to L-4. So my question is will removing those 3 discs give more flexibility to the top curve? He said he expects to get a good correction but no guarantees.

So I guess I want to know what kind of correction others have gotten with stiff thoracic curves.

LindaRacine
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi...

I can't imagine how removing lumbar discs will give you any increased flexibility in your upper curve. Good for you for picking up the discrepancy. It's definitely a good thing to bring up with your surgeon.

Regards,
Linda

bsprings
03-14-2007, 08:58 AM
I had a very stiff thoracolumbar curve (in the middle) and the only way I got correction is for the surgeon to remove the calcification that had built up on my spine over the years. He had to do the anterior procedure in order to do this. Like Linda said , I would ask more questions.
Cathie