A little more than one month post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little more than one month post op

Is it normal for arms and legs to be in pain ?Since I come home my skins hurts and touching my legs and arms sometimes hurts? Also any way of relieving the hip pain?

Thanks
    Sue

Hi Sue,
    I am 3 months post op and my skin is sore too on my legs (the top part). I think this is normal. I have hip pain from where they took the bone graft and the best remedy for that for me at this stage is a hot shower and moderate activity (mainly walking). I think all this goes away with time. It's hard to be patient isn't it? I try to get my mind on other things and that helps a bunch. Good luck in your recovery!
    Cathie

Comment

The skin around your arms and legs are definitely hyper after post-operation. At my physical therapy office, they did these simple tests with a wheel on the skin of my arms and legs to test the sensitivity. In due time, the hypersensitivity in your arms and legs will go away...

But the areas around your incision on your back will take longer because of the rate that it takes for nerves to grow back.

As for the hip pain, bone graft was taken from my right hip... It was quite difficult to sleep on my right and let anything touch that area. Being only 3 months post-opeartion, the sensitivity in that area seemed to have gone away. Because of the bone graft being removed from my hip, it affected the way I walked and pedal on the bicycle. (There was an outward rotation in my right leg.) I noticed the more that my "outward rotation" was corrected at physical therapy, the less pain I was experiencing in the hip because it was healing as well.
      Sandy
      23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
      Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
      65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
      Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
      Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

Sue,

Try an ice bag or a cold pack. They worked pretty good for me.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Bsprings - who did your surgery in the Atlanta area? My daughter went to Dr. Morrissey and I go to Dr James both in Atlanta.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I remember the bottoms of my feet hurting a few weeks post-op.... That's mostly gone now, but once in a while i still get a tingle there... when the nerves to our extremities are 'man-handled' they protest for a while.... but eventually settle back down.

Comment

I think sensitive skin is very normal. I am 6 months post-op and the skin on my right leg is still very sensitive. God forbid one of my kids taps me on the leg! It makes me want to cry! Personally, I have not found anything to help with the feeling, I think time is the only medicine. The good thing is that every week you will feel better and the symptoms more bearable. Good Luck!

Comment

Hi Rainbow,
                I actually went to Dr. Boachie in New York. Long story but I had a very severe curve plus kyhosis and had scheduled surgery at Emory-but after seeing the CT scan the doctor said he would be afraid to correct me-he was just going to fuse me as I was (very crooked!) because otherwise he was afraid he would paralyze me. He gave me Boachie's name as a second opinion and I'm glad he did!
                Cathie

Comment

I am so relieved to read this thread. I experienced a burning, tingling pain on my left leg after surgery. It was on the surface, only affecting the skin. I couldn't stand for anything to come in contact with that leg. It was uncomfortable to wear pants even. It lasted about a month and then went away alltogether. Just one of those things no one really prepares you for.
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I had surgery 2 months ago and am dealing with the same issues of skin hypersensitivity. My left breast is the worst. The skin on my back experiences all sorts of odd sensations, and my feet and right leg are also sensitive to the touch.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there with this. I just hope it eventually goes away, especially the pain in my breast.
                    28 years old
                    Wore brace for 3 years as a teen
                    Successful surgery with Dr. Lenke on January 12, 2007

Comment

Working...
                    X