Body Cast Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Cast Question

Since my last surgery (Dec. 8), I have been in a body cast (form chest to right below the hips). I'm hoping that my cast will be removed at my next apt., March 20. I tried to search the Form for others who spoke of having a body cast, but I haven't found anything. Anyone else have one? If so, how was it once the cast was removed. I am assuming that I will next have a brace for a few months (I dunno).

Any insight will be great. Thanks!
    Surgeries were Dec. 1 & 8, 2006.
    All went well.

Body Cast Question

I had a body cast on after one set of my surgeries for 3 months. After having the body cast removed I was put into a type of corset that could be removed at night. It was such a welcome relief to be out of the cast. Everything felt odd after having the cast off because the cast held my body up and in place and then once it was off it was like everything was loose feeling. My back was tired feeling until after about of week without the cast. I do know one thing it felt great to have it off. This actually was the second time I had a body cast on and I hope I never have to have another one again. Nothing is very easy at all with a cast on.

Comment

A body cast? I thought that was a thing of the past.

Happy to hear your surgeries went well and wish you a successful recovery.

Chris

Comment

I have to jump on Chris' train of thought. I too thought the body cast was no longer used.

I am glad to hear that you both are recovering well, but am very curious about the cast instead of the brace!

Shari

Comment

Body Cast

My body cast was put on much to my displeasure because I had been fused from T1 to my sacrum and my doctor thought it would give me less mobility and hopefully help the bone to fuse better. It did seem to help until just recently we have discovered that somewhere along the line some of the fusion never did get solid and my hardware has broken in two different places and now my spine has starting getting more crooked and giving me a great deal of pain and causing me problems walking. I now have to walk with a cane and am beginning to be very crooked again. I am in the process of scheduling more reconstructive surgery to take out what has been done so far and hopefully correct the problem again. I had eight surgeries the first go around in order to fix a curve that was greater than 90 degrees. My first surgery was 16 years again and all eight were done in a 3 year span. I then was able to go back to work for 13 years until last March when I was forced to quit because of pain and inability to sit or stand for any length of time. Over the years I had gained quite a bit of weight which has not helped my back problems. So since last March I have been concentrating on getting ready for surgery by going on a strict diet and trying to get the weight off which has been a chore since I am unable to exercise. But I am getting there slowly but surely. Sorry for the long response. I am sure that is more of an answer than you really needed.

Comment

Working...
          X