Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I decided on surgery

Hi all,

After a 15 year struggle to avoid scoliosis surgery, it is time. Although my surgery date hasn't been set in stone yet, it will likely be June 5th or 6th. My curve has progressed (as expected) over the last year, but it is still flexible, so Dr. Tribus wants to do a posterior surgery on me (L3 to T4 or T5).

He also said that I should donate 3 pints of blood one month before surgery. Does that sound like too much in such a short amount of time?

Well, I'm sure I will have a lot more questions, but I'm not emotionally ready to start organizing everything for surgery. I still have a few months, but next week I have to get tests done on my heart because I have a mitrol valve prolapse. That shouldn't be much to worry about, I suppose.

This forum has been a HUGE help in making me feel better about my decision. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you are my scolio heroes!

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Hi Anya...

Congratulations on making the decision. I know how hard that can be.

Three units in a month should not be a problem for you unless you have other medical issues. I did 7 units in 7 weeks.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Anya,

Well done on finally making your choice on having surgery. It looks like we will be recovering at the same time as my op is on 28th May. Where your going to be fused is nearly like where im getting fused too. But im having both Anterior and Posterior. Im not sure on the giving blood cos here in Aus my surgeon said we don't need to donate anymore as our blood banks do not like us doing it.... it does sound a little weird but then again a lot of the time its not needed, they are going to take a little bit from me the night before my op.
      Did they say how long your surgery will take?
      May i ask what a Mitrol Valve prolapse is?

Luv Lee
      Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Anya,

Decided on surgery? Welcome to the madhouse! hahahahahaha (maniacal laughter....)

Waiting for surgery is quite the head trip, I've found.....
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Dear Anya,

Congratulations on your decision! My surgeries are scheduled for May 15 (anterior) and May 18 (posterior.) My doctor will be fusing T10 to L5. Yes, it's scary. But I have a feeling we'll be glad some day that we made this decision. It's great to have so much company, with all the Forum folks who will be having surgery within the next 3 or 4 months!

Take care,
          Brynn

Comment

Hi Anya,

Congratulations on making a very difficult decision. I recently had to make the same decision so I know just how difficult it is. Preparing for surgery is really a mental battle and I'm glad to hear that you aren't feeling any emotional effects yet.

Donating 3 units of blood doesn't seem too much, because I was told that I would have to donate 2 - 3 units of blood too, and I think it's the typical amount of blood people donate for this type of surgery. On the sheet that I was given to read about the blood donation, it says that the only restriction is that you can only donate one unit of blood per week and it must be at least 6 weeks before surgery.

I'm having posterior surgery as well on June 18, so I will be recovering around the same time as you as well.

I wish you all the best

Good luck to everyone else having surgery in the coming months as well!!
            Nadia
            I'm 19
            Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
            Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
            Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
            Surgery date: June 18, 2007
            "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Comment

Thanks for all your replies so quickly. Yes, it seems like end of May/beginning of June will be a busy time for us scolio folks.

To answer Lee's question - a mitrol valve prolapse is a heart condition where once in a while the valve doesn't operate properly and the blood flows backwards so you can feel your heart skip, but it is nothing serious. They just want to check up on it since I haven't had an EKG in a while.

It is not that I'm not feeling any emotional effects right now. A year ago when my surgeon first told me I'd probably need surgery, I think I cried almost everyday for a good 2 months or so, but that is when I found this forum and now feel like I have a good understanding of this surgery. Currently I'm feeling a mixture of fear, relief, hope, courage, sadness, etc. Actually, mostly I'm feeling tired right now. I think a good night sleep will help me start putting myself and my emotions in order tomorrow.

Sleep tight,
              Anya

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

I know exactly what you mean because that's just how I felt when I found out that I would need surgery. I was distraught and cried my eyes out. But joining this forum and talking to others who know exactly how I feel and can relate to me and those who have gone through all of this already has realy helped and has seriously improved my outlook on having to have surgery. This forum has really been a God send to me, and I'm sure to most if not all of the people on here. This is why I know that even after my surgery is over I will stay here so that I can give people what this forum and all of you great people have given me -- hope and the ability to smile through it all
                Nadia
                I'm 19
                Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
                Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
                Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
                Surgery date: June 18, 2007
                "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Comment

Anya, sounds like you made the right decision for you. Three pints doesn't sound excessive to me. I donated 2 w/i a month's time. On the bright side of things, the weather will be nice when you are recovering which is a plus.

Take some well deserved time to just let it all sink in. I know it took a little while for me to accept the fact that I was going to have surgery. But, I did eventually make my peace with it. I see you as very upbeat and positive and you've been around here long enough to know how important that is. Just know that you are never alone and that you will always have the support of those of us on this forum.

Take care,
                  Brandi
                  Brandi
                  Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                  Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                  http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Couldn't help but notice

...there are so many of you having surgery right around the same time. At least you'll all be in good company! Best wishes to you all.
                    Brandi
                    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman
                    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Anya,

You will do well with your surgery. You are young and will only require posterior. And as you can see from many others in your age range in this forum, they bounce back pretty quickly. I only wish my scolisis could have been successfully treated years ago.

When I saw Dr. Michael Schafer in Chicago in January, I asked him if he knew Dr. Tribus because I have family in Madison who have asked me if there's any way I could have surgery there. He does not know Dr. Tribus but stressed how important in my case that I be treated by someone who is well experienced in very complex adult spinal deformity.

After a lot of soul-searching and talking to lots of women around my age who have had extensive surgeries, I have decided to forego this undertaking. I do not have a strong support system and after hearing from those who "have been there and done that" tell me that I am at a HUGE disadvantage, it's obvious that surgery is just out of the question for me. In addition, the women I have spoken to either don't work or are retired. And they have emphasized to me just how long and difficult a surgery of the magnitude I would require can be. I spoke to a retired school teacher who underwent 30 hours of surgery by Dr. Schafer at age 60 and she told me she would never be able to go back to teaching. That is another factor in my decision. I have to work.

God bless you.

Chris

Comment

Hi Anya,
                        Congrats on making your decision to go ahead with the surgery. I know all to well, it is a very hard decision.
                        Also to Lee,Chris,Nadia & Brynn,& Anya: Believe me, if I can do it , you can! I'm a big wimp but did just fine! I'll be there supporting you all!

Comment

Lynne,

Don't lie -- you are most definitely NOT a wimp!!
                          Chris
                          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks to Lynne, Brandi et al. It's so great knowing that you are supporting our decision to have surgery. It means a lot to me to have the support of so many Forum folks! And so many of you have already come through this "experience" and still believe you made the right decision. That's certainly important to me.

Brynn

Comment

You are all so wonderful! Thank you. I honestly haven't let it sink in yet. I find that my colleagues don't really want to talk about the surgery (they obviously don't understand and perhaps they are scared), so I appreciate all the support from all of you! Also my father refuses to talk about it. When I told him, he said, "Hmm, well it seems like you've got it under control. I'll talk to you later."

Yes, May and June will be an eventful time for many of us. Please keep in touch!

Best,
                              Anya

19 degrees post-op!

Comment

Working...
                              X