Kyphosis questions and worries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyphosis questions and worries

First off I'd like to say that I am glad to have found this forum. It seems to be populated by kind and helpful folk.

I am a 34 year old married, father of three (2, 5, 8). My wife is an RN and works night shifts. I am a self employed reptile breeder (I really am).

I have been having been having back pain for about 10 years, and it has become unbearable. I have been diagnosed with Sheurman's kyphosis with a rigid curve of 70 degrees. I have tried PT, meds, TENS unit, and have had no relief. My Ortho is excellent and very helpful. He is suggesting surgery, which seems to be the only course of action left. I have an appointment with the neurosurgeon who would be a member of the surgical team. Then we plan the surgery. The surgery will aparently involve posterary and anterior fusions. With one of my ribs used for the graft. It will also involve rods, screws and other awful sounding implements.

Needless to say, I am nervous. I have been able to train a few people to care for my business in my abscence, and my parents, sister, wife's parent's etc. and willing to assist as much as possible with the children.

My main orthopedic sugeon is very informative and has performed this procedure many times including 4 this year.

Does any one have experience with this type of surgery. What can I expect for recovery time, limitations, etc.? I hope some of you are willing to share a bit of your experiences to ease my mind and help me plan. Thanks

Mike

Scheurmanns Kyphosis

My 16 year old son had surgery August 14th, 2006 to correct his Scheurmanns Kyphosis. He is fused from T3 to L3 with two titanium rods. He spent a week in the hospital. Once home he did wonderful. No problem with stairs. Didn't take hardly any pain meds, none at all after two weeks. He just seen his doctor and he is able to snow board, snowmobile, all activities except hockey. Good Luck

Comment

curves

Have you had rapid curve progression? I have Kyphosis too, I have not seen doctor for my curves in a long time. I guess I need to schedule appointment soon.
      Last edited by Marcilo; 03-02-2007, 08:55 PM.

Comment

The progression has been fairly gradual starting when I was 16, I think that the rate of progression has increased in the past couple of years, and so has the pain.

Comment

I have Scheurmanns Kyphosis; curvature began when I was 13 (family didn't think it was important enough to get a medical opinion). It continued to curve, relatively slowly, until about 15 years ago ( I am now 61) then began to curve at a faster rate. I do not know what the curves were 15 years ago, but I am now at 93* at T4-T5 (with minor compensatory scoliosis in lumbar region); I have lost more than 3" in height in the last 10 years. I am now consulting with several ortho surgeons, and likely will have the surgery within the next year.

As I've learned from this forum and the wonderful people who post to it, this type of surgery becomes more risky as one gets older (in addition to more of a curve to be corrected if there has been progression). Also the amount of time to recover becomes longer with age.

You have a very good support network and you have made plans for continuation of your business during recovery. While it ultimately is your decision, my thinking is to have the surgery sooner rather than later. Had I known 15 - 20 years ago that corrective surgery was an option, I would have had it done then.
          As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

My surgery is scheduled for May 2. The surgeons have reviewed my case and we've decided on posterior fusion from T2 to T12.

Can any one share experiences as to how long I will need help? We are trying to make a schedule of people to help with the kids, lizards, etc.

Comment

need help

Hi. I had a 76 degree kyphotic curve... which isn't real common for a woman in her 30's. I wore a brace as a teen and it never went away. Was pregnant at 24 and again at 36. The second pregnancy did me in. While I was nursing (hormones they say), I went from a 67 to 76 degree curve in 2 1/2 months. I could literally feel myself being compressed. You will definitely need help for a bit. I rented a hospital bed (only $100) for the first month I was home, since when I got home I could not get up or down. Even w/ help it was excruciating. But yeah, plan on some assistance. Oh, and Doc Shelokov was able to go in through my back and at four points on my side... they say there is less nerve damage this way instead of having to go straight through your chest.

I'm glad you will have relief soon. One thing I have encountered since moving from san antonio back to omaha, is that some doctors will say they "do" this surgery. Don't be afraid to ask a lot: how many times has your doctor done this surgery? How many w/ kyphosis? What is his morbidity rate? This is what led me to Shelokov - at the time 5 hours away. He does the surgery HUNDREDS of times a year. No offense, but even if they did it once a month, go to someone who EATS, BREATHES AND SLEEPS SPINAL CONSTRUCTION.

THAT IS THE BEST ADVICE I EVER GOT AND THE ONE PIECE I WILL PASS ON TO YOU. If you have to cancel and go elsewhere, you will be glad you did. You want someone like Boachie or Shelokov who could almost do it in their sleep. I hope this helps...
              Diane
              Diane
              39 y.o. female
              Aug. 9 '05 - T-1 through S-1; Dr. Shelokov -Plano
              Oct. 14 '97 - L4-L5/L5-S1 fusion BAK fusion cages (san antonio)
              Feb. 14 '89 - laminectomy l4-l5/l5-s1 (omaha)
              braced as an adolescent

Comment

Working...
              X