Back Limbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Limbo

My husband and I took Alexandra to a pediatric ortho after a 7 week wait and still don't have definite answers. I know there is nothing definite about scoliosis, but a little more direction would be appreciated.
    I discovered her back was mishapen after a roller skating fall that put her in some discomfort for a couple of weeks. She and I were talking and I happened to put my hands on her back and felt an uneveness. I freaked out and called our chiro since she had seen him years before to help with some discomfort. We started taking her there to work out the discomfort, after a couple of weeks(because of other unrelated family medical issues) we finally had a full evaluation and xrays. This showed 41 degrees thoracic and 23 lumbar. We were in shock for weeks after that.
    I have been reading on this forum, just looking everywhere for answers or a direction, something.
    So yesterday we finally meet the ortho, one of the best in this area from what I can find out. He said they usually brace in the 30's, do surgery in the 50's. At this point it is our decision whether or not to brace, he cannot say that it will help. She will be 13 soon and according to him has about a year of growing left. The chance of her curves staying "as is" without bracing is 50/50, but couldn't give us any stats with bracing. I hadn't read this anywhere. We are absolutely torn on what to do. All advice is welcomed.

My personal opinion is, I would give the bracing a try.

I know it's not the easiest thing in the world but my here is how my thinking goes:

I would want to avoid surgery.

There is a 50% chance the curve will progress, IF she is in that 50% (and you don't have any way of knowing) then doing the brace could help. I would want to try and help it from getting worse.

There is also a 50% chance that it will stay where it is but if you do the bracing it won't HURT anything in that regards.

I hope this makes sense. That's how my thinking goes anyway.

My DD will be 13 next week, her largest curve is in the middle, at the end of the thoracic & into the lumbar. It was a 40-42 degrees when we found it. The first ortho we talked to was already talking surgery. We went to Shriner's and she got put in a brace Dec. 26. We just had our first in brace check & while in the brace her curve is 21 degrees. The doctor's were REALLY happy with that. The brace has now been tightened more since it's broken in & hope to get more correction with it. In my DD's case, I have no idea how long she has to grow, she is a Risser 0 (lots of growth) but they also did take an x-ray of her wrist and say her fast growth spurt already happened So, it sounds like she will just be growing slow & steady at this point but for how long -- who knows.
    Last edited by Beckymk; 03-01-2007, 07:41 AM.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

I believe I read somewhere that 50/50 is the risk of progression when scoliosis is left unbraced, but we were told by the dr and the orthotist that with bracing the success rate in stopping progression is between 65 to 85 percent. This of course depends on compliance with the bracing program.

I would give bracing a chance if this was my daughter. One year is not a long time and may be enough to stop her scoliosis. My son is currently in a tlso and having good results. You definitely have time to try this and even when considering surgery her biggest curve is low enough that you can wait to see how fast or if it progresses.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
      X