6-7 mos post-op/ biking????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-7 mos post-op/ biking????

Ok I am officially 6 mos post-op today!!!! I go in mid March for another check-up... I plan to ask what I'm allowed to do....just ahead of time, I'm asking you all about a few things. By 6-7 mos can you ride a bike?? I am hoping by late spring/summer to get back to that...also gardening.. I would also love to take golf lessons but I have a feeling that's no good for me yet???? thks for any suggestions, Ly

fused T-11 to L-5/Boachie/Kim
    http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Yea Lynne! Happy 1/2 year anniversary! You know I haven't ridden a bike yet, I don't really like to ride. I have however ridden our two wheel, battery run scooter. At first it felt weird, my balance, but I had no problem. I wish I had thought about keeping track of when I first did it but I just jumped on it one day to go get the mail. I was never one to do the walking most post-op people on here did, I cheated and used the scooter all the time. Have the boys run along side you when you try it again, like you probably did when teaching them!! Keep up the good work!

Comment

i wouldn't think that biking would hurt you, but then again, I haven't had surgery. Have you ever thought of a recumbant bike? Those are supposed to be good for your back... although they are expensive but if you really like riding your bike then it could be worth it. I'm sure your doctor would know better than me, and so would a lot of other people on this forum.
      aBbiE
      22 yr old F,KU college student
      Kyphoscoliosis...
      Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
      Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
      I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
      Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
      all smiles!

Comment

Hi Lynn--I was riding my bike last fall!!!

I never asked him one way or the other, but I started riding my bicycle just a couple of months after my surgery--about the time I started driving again. Just up and down the street at first, then around the block, then a few blocks over to my girlfriend's. I was a little stiff if I added too much distance at a time, but not badly. In fact, riding was much better for me than walking because the walking hurt my lower back/sciatic area too much and I could only take short, stiff steps.

Now that it's winter, I have the indoor bicycle to use. If you have the one with the movable arm handles, you can also exercise your arms and back with it! But I much prefer riding outdoors!

Deb
        age 48
        posterior surgery 7/24/06
        for s curve T72,L77
        50% correction

Comment

Congrats on 6 months. I was wondering the same. I want to start biking in the spring. I am also an avid gardener, The state of my garden this previous year was reminiscent of everything that was going on. I look forward to it this spring but I think we will have to do it in baby steps. A little each day.
          surgery 9/06
          Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Lynne,

I think as long as you feel up to trying something, go for it, as long as you do it a little at a time. You have been recovering so well!!! Biking is great excercise, so I don't think it can hurt you unless you are trying to do it on a bumpy service.

My goal was to get back on the golf course, and I did it. Not 6 months post op, but my fusion was longer than yours. One of the most exciting things that I did after my surgery was playing 18 holes of golf. But you can't rush things.

No matter how great I would feel at times, it was always in the back of my head that it takes a certain amount of time for the fusion to take hold, and I never wanted to do anything to prevent that from taking it's course.

Maybe I was overly cautious, who knows??? I think you are doing great!!!

Shari

Comment

I was outside yesterday & it was about 45 degrees & I so wanted to get my rollerblades....I have a feeling I won't be able to do that till fall.....guess I'm just feeling better & all!

Comment

Congrats,
                I was rock climbing at 6 months....good luck...
                CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                fused T4 -L3
                Hip graft
                Grown 1 1/2 inches
                25/o upper T 15/o
                53/o T 15/o
                37/o L 6/o
                Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                New York City

August 6, 2004
                Pulmonary Embolism
                complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                increasing pain at the T4/5
                point irratation heardwear

Comment

I used a stationary bike as part of my PT when I was 4 months post-op and my surgeon recommended bike riding and swimming as great ways to get my lower back muscles in shape. To this day, I ride the stationary bike to keep those muscles tight and strong. It's worth asking your surgeon about...

Comment

Hi Connie,

That's an outstanding achievement!!! You are an inspiration to all that have had or are considering this surgery.

Wow!!!

Shari

Comment

This post is making me very happy! I just finalized my surgery date - June 5th, and quite frankly and getting upset about everybody talking about their fun summer plans, but I will be so happy to get back to bike riding and everything! You are all inspirations to me!

Best,
                      Anya
                      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

You can go to Linda Racine's webpage and on there is a list of activites and the time that you usually can resume them. When you are on the main page click on References & Resources. On the next page scroll down a little bit to More Resources. Then on the right hand column click on Resuming Activities After Surgery.
                        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                        Fused T2 to sacrum
                        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi,
                          I like this thread...it gives motivation to post-ops to reach their goals..I tried to play tennis after surgery and I found it impossible...the twisting motions are just a killer..I also cannot do yoga as well as i used to do it.. so I stopped that....Biking is relative ly easy on the back as long as your handle bars are up high...now I work out in the gym..i take step classes, spin classes and body pump...Right after surgery.PT helped me alot ..the first session he would massage my scar so i would not develope scar tissue...than we worked on strenthing the back muscles...it was a slow and painful start but the end results are well worth it....you'll do just fine!!! This forum was great to me and I loved making new friends!!!!
                          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                          fused T4 -L3
                          Hip graft
                          Grown 1 1/2 inches
                          25/o upper T 15/o
                          53/o T 15/o
                          37/o L 6/o
                          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                          New York City

August 6, 2004
                          Pulmonary Embolism