Adolescent vs. Adult Surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adolescent vs. Adult Surgeries

I have another question, probably one of dozens to follow...
    I am still in the process of looking for a surgeon. I'm a little confused as to what to look for, as far as experience in adult surgeries. It seems to me, in my short research span, that many surgeons either operate on adolescents only, or adults and adolescents. So if they operate on both, what should I be looking for as far as experience with adult surgeries -- for example, is a ratio of 5 adolescents to 1 adult surgeries acceptable? Also, does my age and physical condition (30 years old, and in "good shape" according to my physical therapist) make it to where a surgeon with more adolescent surgeries is still acceptable?
    I know there's no solid answer to this, but perhaps some advice?
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Hi Geo,

The answer to your question, is one that only you can answer!!! We can only give you advice from our own experiences.

I choose a Dr. that specialized in adult scoliosis surgery. I also wanted one that did it very often, and I felt it in my heart. I hope that makes sense.

Shari

Comment

Hi Geo...

I've never heard of anyone using an adolescent to adult ratio to select a surgeon, so I can't really comment on that. At 30, I think it's definitely a good idea to find someone who does a lot of adult scoliosis surgeries (at least 1-2 a month). If possible, try to find someone who is fellowship trained in spinal deformities.

Good luck.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X