Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending/lifting/twisting after surgery

Hi everybody,

Since I've found out about the surgery it's been on my mind all of the time, as I'm sure you can imagine, so I keep thinking of different questions. One of the things I was wondering about is how things will be after surgery. Did you find it really hard not to bend/lift/twist... or to remember not to? I mean I'm sure while you're in pain you wouldn't want to, but when you start feeling better do you forget not to?... This really worries me and I've even been having nightmares about forgetting not to bend/lift/twist and then screwing everything up after going through surgery. Please let me know how it was for you.

Nadia
    Nadia
    I'm 19
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
    Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
    Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
    Surgery date: June 18, 2007
    "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Nadia, I'm not sure if you are having ant/post surgery? I know from my incision on the front that it makes me numb/stiff there & you just would'nt even feel comfortably twisting. I'm 6 mos post-op now & I just don't have to think about it now, I just bend from the knees or squat down to pick something up, it becomes second nature.....I think your body will tell you what to do!!!
    At my last Dr's appmt, they made me bend at the hips..I was nervous but the Dr. said that was fine....Ly
    fused T-11 to L-5

Comment

Thanks for replying I'm actually having posterior surgery so I'm not sure if that will be different with regard to the twisting.

Congrats at bending at the hips! and I'm sure it must feel so good to be 6 months post op
      Nadia
      I'm 19
      Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
      Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
      Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
      Surgery date: June 18, 2007
      "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Comment

You become very aware of the fact that your body has changed so you take care not to bend,twist or lift. You really don't want to do any of that anyway right after surgery. You quickly learn to adapt. I am 9 mos. post-op and always bend at my knees, never twist at the waist and rarely lift anything over 5 lbs. and never anything over 10 lbs. I have become used to these changes and don't want to do anything to screw up my back. You'll know exactly what I mean before you know it.
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Nadia,

After your surgery if you even try to do one of those moves, your body will let you know right away not to do it. It just becomes normal not to do those moves. Don't be worrying yourself about that, try to stay busy and have some fun while you can.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

hey
            im 6 months post op also and had posterior surgery.

Whilst you have the brace on you physically cant do any of these moves-which is what it is partly used for but also once you are out of the brace you are very aware of what you are doing.

my mum keeps saying i might forget and bend...i dont think you forget after what you have been through what me and many peopel on here have been through or are going to go through.

My physio told me that i physically cant bend my back where i shouldnt as the metal rods will not allow me to do this.

Comment

Hi...

I've known at least three people who have pulled screws out of their fusion in the early post op period, by bending over. I personally think surgeon's office should be more specific about what should and should not be done.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
              X