Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble fitting in my car post op!

It's me again-
    I bought a brand new car this past summer and just got in it for the first time today since my surgery 10 weeks ago. (I have been riding in my mom's). First I sit down then swing my legs in but the problem is I hit my head on the doorframe. I am taller now and of course can't bend so it is very uncomfortable getting in the car. I have to bend my head down as much as I can-and it sits a little low so I have to "help" my legs in with my hands because I am still kind of weak. Did anyone else have this trouble? I can't imagine how it will get any better since I will not get any more flexible. I wonder if I should sell the car and get something else. Thanks!
    Cathie

yea, cathie..it's real weird the first time you get in the car to drive. It does take a while to get in & swing your legs in...but it does get better, believe me. good luck,you'll do great!!!! Lynne

Comment

OMG...Cathie I know exactly what you are talking about!!! I am 6' tall and have a 93 Toyota Camry. I barely fit in my car before my revision surgery (sometimes hit my head on the frame) but now I can't get in the car without having to bend my head to my shoulder.
      My car is old enough that I am ready to buy a new one so if anyone has any ideas for someone tall (with really long legs) I will gladly take suggestions. At this point selling the car is the only thing I can think of to solve the problem (because I am not shrinking any time soon) RATS!!!

Comment

I have found that it's so much easier to drive and ride in a pick-up truck for me. I have a Ford F150 and the seat is right at my 'butt level' when i'm standing, easier to step down out of it, and there's plenty of head room. Some SUVs are similar too. I hate having to ride in our family sedan now after becoming accustomed to my truck! Cathie, your experience was mine exactly when i first came home from hospital... was horrible riding anywhere... no wonder why i LOVE MY TRUCK....

Comment

It has gotten better. I am almost six months post op and it has gotten easier. I stiil have to watch my head. I think it is the way we used to be able to bend our backs to get in the car. It will get easier over time.
          surgery 9/06
          Rothman institute

Comment

Ivan

Wow i never knew that that kind of trouble would arise from surgery, so is it that hard that u somtimes fall trying to get in? Im thinking of surgery but it seems like theres going to be lots to get use to
            right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Comment

I never fell. Someone in a previous post somewhere on the forum suggest putting a plastic trashbag on the seat of your car. It does make it easier to slide in and out. It is a temporary situation I am just careful and slow getting in and out of the car. It has improved dramatically and I expect that it will continue to do so.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

Bumps!

Joann---don't you feel the bumbs, pot holes with the truck? I used my jeep cherokee(old) & it was way easier to get in than my husbands sportscar! Only thing is I felt the bumps in the road a lot more & that bothered me. I had to go real slow. Ly

Comment

When we needed a new car, we went shopping on "bad back" days. That way I knew if there would be problems. I wanted an Impala but hit my head. My daughter and I both drive Escapes. On a side note, I did get in and out of a Corvette when I was 9 months pregnant (12 years after my surgery)!
                  T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                  2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                  3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                  Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Ly, yes, in a truck you do feel more of the road. I especially had problems at first because there was road construction between my home and work. However, i had one of those tempurpedic (sp?) pillows that i put in my seat that absorbed a lot of the shocks and made the drive much more pleasant. Now it doesn't bother me and i don't think about the bumps and jiggles unless i hit one unexpectedly. The ease of getting in and out and being able to sit up higher for a better view is worth it to me. (Plus I have a lot of 'natural padding' that makes it maybe easier for me....lol)

Comment

Cathie,

Don't worry, it does get better! I'm only 5'1" and hit my head on my 2001 Mazda 626 (same size as a camry). I have a hard time getting out of my son's truck. He has a Ford Ranger Tremor that has a lift kit on it. I basically slide out of the truck while holding on. He does have to watch his driving, because I do feel everything! I would keep the car for at least a year. If your still having problems after that, then go look for a different one. Whenever you have to rent a car, rent things that you would be interested in owning.
                      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                      Fused T2 to sacrum
                      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

So even after a long time after surgery do u still feel the bumps on the road??? or does it get use to it? and after a while does it get easier to get in a car.. is it hard to get in a two door car and get in in the back seat?

Comment

Before surgery, we had a Ford Ranger pick-up and a Ford Focus 4-door car. I had a much easier time getting in and out of the truck. While I was recovering, my DH traded in the Focus and bought a Mazda Tribute (the Mazda version of a Ford Escape...mini SUV). It's the perfect height for me to sit without having to bend or stretch. I still love my Ranger, but it does ride a bit harder than the Tribute so you can feel the bumps more.

Comment

By you saying that u feel the bumps on the road does ur back hurt really bad? or is it just like a little jolt u feel?

Comment

I am almost 5' 1'", and I have trouble getting in and out of my Honda Accord Coupe. (Two-door cars are a struggle, especially if you are trying to reach into the back seat!) I would say after a while, you get used to getting in and out of the car... Cars higher up from the ground are a lot more easier to get in and out from than cars lower to the ground... I always seem to bump my head because I can no longer hunch over or touch my chin to my neck. Anyways, you even get used to the car rides! Right after surgery, driving over holes and such were a bit harsh with the jolting and rocking movement, but months down the road as my back gets stronger and stronger, it does not bother me as much.

I remember a time when I was only 2 months post-operation and it started snowing... My snow scraper was tucked away way back in my trunk and I broke down in tears just cause I could not reach it! Luckily, I was in my church's parking lot and someone helped me reach it and even brush the snow off my car... So, before going into operation, make sure you situate your car to be accessible to you and your needs!
                              Sandy
                              23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
                              Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
                              65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
                              Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
                              Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X