Help Me Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Remember

I had spinal fusion surgery in June 2004 at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital down in Palo Alto (with Dr. Rinsky). I recently visited again because of some pain when I laid down because of my protruding shoulder blade and was told I could either have the rods extended or cut off. The latter would eventually lead to having them extended anyway, so I chose to have them extended. The surgery will be as intensive as the original, but I unfortunately don't remember the first one very well.

I was wondering if you could remind me of all the gritty details of this surgery, so I know what to look for! Thanks all!

~Penny

I am very curious as to why they say you need additional surgery. My daughter had spinal fusion in June 2004. At her appointment today, we had similar news...either extend the rods up two vertebrae or cut rods off. She has excruciating pain between her shoulder blades and spine and has developed kyphosis. Her doctor believes that her pain is caused from the top of the rods rubbing against the muscles that are bending forward due to the kyphosis. It seems that extending the rods would be the best solution. I was wondering if your situation is similar?

Comment

That sounds exactly like my case. He wanted to extend the rods because I was hunching over where they ended. It was either cut them off and expect to have another surgery later to extend them, or just extend them.

My surgery is now set for july 12. I am pretty scared, but I know it is all for the best. You should go for the surgery as well. It can only make things better.

Comment

What were your fusion levels in your original surgery? Just wondering because I've gotten two opinions that my dd needs to be fused from T4-L4.

Comment

Origamiqueen 13

Hi :
          I also live in Palo Alto . Could you e-mail me to btorres3380@sbcglobal.net for some information regarding your scoliosis?
          BETall

Comment

Working...
          X