Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life without surgery?

Hi Everyone,
    My purpose for joining this site is to give everyone another perspective and know the results of long term decisions WITHOUT surgery. What happens if you don't and what will life be like?

When I was 12 I had two 45 degree curves. We chose not to have surgery at that time. I have had my scoliosis now for 42 years. I have lived long and had a very full life of normal to extraordinary activities I have enjoyed. If I had surgery my life would have been so very different. I now have 5 children and 6 grandchildren. 3 of my children had scoliosis. We knew it would show up so we did things to get rid of it and to keep it to a very minimum. So the most one of them has is a 2 degree curve. Daily or very often chiropractics and sports, dancing, a very busy sport life is the best thing. Boys wrestling is wonderful, springboard diving, trampoline, girls dancing, cheerleading, racketball or any sport is actually great! I have done almost all of them. There will be pain but there are ways to manage it and you develop a new sense of strength living with it. As a professional model at age 17 no one really guessed. If you want to know more let me know. Using an electric tens unit during the night on the opposite sides of the curve increases muscle strength which helps straighten the curve. Forever extra calcium in pill and diet. Your body needs it more than others. I am so glad I made this choice and as a result I have had a very full and busy life. I hope this helps.
    Showtime

I found your post interesting. Unfortunately, some of our children, in spite of active livestyles, have had their scoliosis continue to increase to the point that surgery is necessary and it would be very irresponsible on our part to send them into adulthood in the condition they are in.

I am sorry you live with pain but it is good you have found the inner resources to endure it. You have been fortunate in that your children and grandchildren did not have progressive scoliosis.

I don't know how you think surgery would have made your life different but today many find after surgery they also live very normal, pain free, healthy lives and go on to have children and grandchildren, also. Having surgery does not imply they won't.

Most of us here would not be here if exercise and calcium would do the trick.

Comment

Virginia,

I couldn't agree with you more. My daughter is the most physically active of my 3 children and the only one with scoliosis. She dances in spite of it. But dancing can not prevent it from progressing. Only a brace or surgery can do that.

Nobody wants their child to have surgery. But if my daughter's curves are in the 50's, I would most likely choose surgery for her as a teen.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

what is electric tens?
        Could you email me back erinc777@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
        X