Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally have a Surgery Date...

Hey Everyone,

Well i've finally set a date for my surgery its going to be Monday May 28th, with Dr Peter Turner. I will be having Anterior and Posterior with the surgery lasting 6 - 8 hours (geez thats sounds like a long time) i will be fused from T3 - L3.

My surgeon has suggested i start taking Iron tablets two months before surgery. Can anyone suggest what else i should take or any exercises i should do to make me recover quicker?
    I am 21 yrs old so i was told i probably will bounce back pretty quickly. I'm really scared at the moment, but it has to be done.....

Anyway i thought i should let everyone know what im doing...

Love Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Congrats on getting a surgery date - I'll be there next week - ahhhhhhh. Anyway, I've heard that it is best to really work on your leg muscles since you'll be using them a lot!!! I was able to go to a PT and get some specific exercises - do you have access to a PT?

Keep in touch about your pre-op.
    Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Congrats on finally getting a surgery date. Your surgery will be within days of my 1 yr. mark. To echo what Anya said, you will definitely want to build up your leg muscles. Because you will be unable to bend, you will rely on them far more than you do now.

Best of luck to you.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

good luck Lee,
        May is really not too far away now...which is better because it's the wait that drives us crazy.....
        My surgery was about 11 hours..ant/post...
        yea, build up your leg muscles..you'll be bending at the knees, something that I'm in the habit of now & it's better for your back anyhow!
        Now you've made the decision to have it done. That is also the hard part...Ly
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
        fused T-11 to L-5/Boachie/Kim

Comment

Thanks guys for your replies....

I actually forgot to mention my birthday is on the 1st June which means ill be in hospital for my birthday ill be 4 days post op, just wondering what ill be like at 4 days will i be able to talk and at least enjoy my b'day and also will all my tubes be out by then?

Thanks Lee
          Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Lee...

It will be a memorable birthday, but I'm not sure you'll want to remember it very much. ;-)

It's really impossible to know how you'll be at 4 days. I've seen people almost ready to go home at that stage, and I've people who still haven't been on their feet yet. It is what it is.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Leelee,
              Wow finally you have a date. The iron tablets i took were fefol. Very good but they are terrible for constipation so make sure you eat loads of fibre to equalise it. I am so happy for you. I know how long you have waited for this. In the three months leading up to my surgery, i walked daily and swam laps in the pool. I also stopped drinking any alcohol or being around cigarette smoke as it can weaken the skin and make it prone to infection. These were all the recommendations of my surgeon. Keep coming to this site for more info. My surgeon was mortified by how much i knew about the procedure. He thinks its good to leave some things a mystery. Tey not to watch a doco on the surgery. It absolutely freaked me out. Only do it if you have a strong stomach and mind. Keep in touch.
              Katie.
              Katie

Comment

I was in the hospital for my birthday. I was 12 days post op and my mom bought me a little birthday cake for her and i. I was so glad to get home from the hospital.
                surgery 9/06
                Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
                X