sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping

I am now 4 months post-op and doing quite well. I am now off all my meds and use only over-the-counter pain killers. I do okay during the day, though by days end I am tired, sore and have a hard time standing up straight. My biggest problem since going off the meds is sleeping. I cannot find a comfortable position and spend the night tossing from side to side to my back to relieve pressure. I am exausted and frustrated that I cannot find comfort. Does anyone have tricks for getting comfy, a great position or even a magic mattress?!! Please help, I am so tired!

Dori

Hi Dori - I'm 3 1/2 months post-op for revision. We just bought a new bed as well (we had too - old one was extremely uncomfortable). I have had problems sleeping in the past due to aches and pain in the back, or pressure point pain. Here are some ideas that worked for me at one time or another:
    - a pillow under your legs while you lay on your back (It's supposed to be easier for the back, but I can't do this anymore b/c of my tight hip flexors and ham strings - I lay flat) or, if you already do this, try laying flat
    - if you sleep on your side, prop a pillow between your legs and behind you to keep you level and stop you from rolling back or forward
    - a foam mattress topper - I had a regular eggshell foamy under my sheets before and it helped reduce the pressure. others here have used memory foam toppers too.
    - I know you said you're off the pain meds, but if needed could you take some at night? That's what I still do when I am sore in the evening. Talk to your doctor as some narcotic pain meds have caffeine.
    - when I was on my old bed, I would sleep on top of a vertical pillow or the comforter to relieve pressure. I found that my new mattress, which is a pocket coil mattress, has really helped relieve the pressure points.
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes! I know how frustrating it can be to have pain interfere with falling asleep when you're tired!
    Cena
    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

http://www.sitincomfort.com/comubodsuppi.html

Hello,

I am also four months post op. You are doing better than I am. I still take pain medication and muscle relaxant every four hours. I am unable to tolerate the spasms and pain - day or night.

Can you just take the pain medication at night to give you some relief?

I purchased one of the Comfort U pillows on the website I attached to this post. I love it. The pillow supports back, neck, and gives something to throw your leg over and also hug. It works great for me. I also put a memory foam padding on my mattress. It give a bit more support. I wish I could afford to purchase the Intelligel bed. My doctor and physical therapist advertise it in their office but it is very expensive (for me).

Joan

Comment

Working...
      X