Really need your help ... Surgeons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really need your help ... Surgeons

Okay...I am starting to wonder if I should keep looking for a surgeon or if Dr. S will be okay. Can ANYONE suggest a really good scoliosis surgeon for a 1st timer? I am just so curious and anxious. Thank you all so much!

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Hi Ann,
    I don't know anyone in Texas but I can tell you who I had consultations with before I chose Boachie in New York. I live in Atlanta and actually had my surgery scheduled with Dr. Horton at Emory here but my curve was so severe and so calcified (100 deg) that at the last minute he said he would be too afraid to try to straighten it and he was just going to fuse me as i was (very crooked!) Of course I was upset- he said I could go for other opinions if I wanted and gave me 2 names- Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis and Dr. Boachie. I went to see both-both are excellent but Dr. Boachie was more qualified in my opinion. I valued these referrals though because they came from a very good doctor- the only one in Georgia that was even a possibility for me, but my case was unusual because I had let it go so long. In his opinion these were the 2 docs to consider- I will pray you will make the right decision-
    Cathie

Comment

Ann,

I don't know if I have answered you somewhere else on this forum but, I see Dr. Charles Reitman here in Houston, TX. He did my original surgery in 2004 and a revision surgery in 2005. I see him out of Kelsey Seybold main campus, Spine Clinic, but he is also with the Baylor College of Medicine (same group that Dr. Hanson is with). I really like him, he is very attentive to your needs and the pain that you are in.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Ann- I've heard much about Dr. Bridwell too. I, like Cathie(Bsprings), I had a good size curve...a 95 thorocolumbar curve with 85 kyphosis...I'm 47 & had mine done also by Dr. Boachie...I'm in NJ so it was about 2 hours away. I think Cathie & I are very lucky to have found him & I'm sure we gave him a work-out what with our messed up spines!!!! Ly
        fused T-11 to L5..

Comment

Working...
        X